Can I put my crickets in with Dubai roaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiff1990

So I thought about ordering my baby some roaches but I have no idea if I can put them in my cricket container with my crickets? I was going to order more crickets as well it's way cheaper than my local petsmart... and he or she goes through 100 plus crickets in two day which is great I'm glad it eats I'm just sick of handing petsmart my money when I can get them cheaper online. Anyhow please let me know if I can keep the roaches and crickets together if not what do I need for the roaches?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would keep them separate. The crickets tend to be pretty vicious and die off quickly. I wouldn't want dead crickets affecting my dubia colony. I'd transition away from crickets to just dubia since the crickets are such a pain. A big plastic tote bin should do the trick for them. There is a good writeup about their general care here http://www.southtexasdragons.com/dubia-roaches.html

Tiff1990

Original Poster
CooperDragon":370er4qf said:
I would keep them separate. The crickets tend to be pretty vicious and die off quickly. I wouldn't want dead crickets affecting my dubia colony. I'd transition away from crickets to just dubia since the crickets are such a pain. A big plastic tote bin should do the trick for them. There is a good writeup about their general care here http://www.southtexasdragons.com/dubia-roaches.html

Thank you! I'll post a picture of my dragon and see what size I should get because I don't want ones that are to big!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If some of them get too big just leave them be and let them grow. They'll eventually help to start establish a colony and give you a new generation of tiny bugs.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
I would totally pick a different species of roach. Dubias are okay, but are my least favorite roach. They are ugly, not as bulky as other roaches, and take longer to breed than others.
For some reason dubia roaches became popular when there are better species available. I would look at orange heads, ivory heads, or deaths head. I have all of the above (including dubias) except for deaths head...those are my next purchase.
The other species are more expensive. But trust me, if you buy them you will thank me for it in the future :)
I have pictures of ivory head and orange head adults and nymphs on my roach post from a couple days ago.
(Edit: you may read that orange heads have a defensive odor...I really have never noticed much of a smell with them)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom