Dubia Roaches illegal in Florida?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielwilu2525

So I'm gonna get into getting my first beardie, and I really don't want to breed crickets. I heard that dubias are awesome, and they are! However, I recently heard that they are illegal in FL. Is this true? Can I still keep dubias? Can breeders ship a starter colony to me? I hope my dreams aren't crushed.

Gail

BD.org Addict
I thought they were but this dealer has them listed on the florida legal page along with other species you can keep.
http://capecodroaches.com/t/florida-legal-roaches

but then on the contact us page, it says dubia are illegal in florida. Personally, I would play it safe and go with discoids. They are just like dubia but a bit bigger as adults and both genders have wings.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yes, this is true. They are considered an invasive species and are banned. There are alternatives though. You could try and find some discoid roaches, banana roaches, red runner roaches, or horsehoe crab roaches which should be available online and are OK in Florida. Cape Cod Roaches often carries these Florida friendly bugs. Be sure to read through the descriptions that show the pros and cons of each (some can climb easily).

danielwilu2525

Original Poster
Alright, thanks guys! Sucks I can't get dubias. But I swear I saw some dubias for sale over at my local pet shop. Hmm I'll have to looo into discoids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom