Little white bugs crawling all over the colony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommyst

Hi Guys!

So I've had a dubia colony for 6 months now, and noticed tiny white bugs crawling all over the breeder bin.
I've noticed the mites (?) around 2 days ago, though judging by their numbers they must be older.

The best pictures I can provide with my phone camera are linked below:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5bSsCIzJzsXRTVFaFlidXZ4M1E

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5bSsCIzJzsXSWdWZHpsNlp5b3M

Here are the info I have on my colony:

- I do not use any substrate, just a plastic bin with egg cartons
- I have not yet cleaned the colony because I can still see the bottom of the bin and as far as I know some frass and dead roaches are (or are supposed to be) beneficial to nymphs.
- I do not spray the bin, the only hydration they get is from veggies and water beads.
- The openings on the bin cover are relatively small, making up ~ 30% of the cover.
- I only feed the roaches with fresh veggies and fruits, in amounts they can eat overnight, removing any remains in the morning.

What I understand based on what I've read so far:
- I should first give the colony the dry treatment to kill off as many mites as possible
- Remove the lid to let more air flow through the bin
- Simultaneously make the openings bigger on the cover to allow for better air flow
- When this is done and the colony is dry enough, I should go and clean the bin thoroughly.

Please let me know if the above assumptions are correct for this infestation, and let me know if I should take any additional actions, thank you! :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh boy. Those are grain mites. I'm fighting those at the moment too. Fortunately they are harmless and shouldn't affect your dragon or your colony. The down side is that they are a HUGE pain to get rid of and they wind up everywhere. The best way to get rid of them that I've found is to run a dehumidifier in the area where you see the infestation. They don't handle low humidity well and if you can get the humidity down below about 40% or so they will die off. It may take a while to achieve that and I would offer your colony some extra orange slices to ensure they can get through the period of relatively low humidity (they love high humidity).

Tommyst

Original Poster
Thanks, Cooper! :)

Yeah, I'm trying to lower the humidity around the bin, but it's quite challenging as I'm renting a small room (around 10 square meters), so I'm practicly living in the same air space as the colony, and my presence, drying clothes, fish tank all raise the humidity, but I'm doing my best. :roll:

(This is the same reason I'm trying a bit harder than usual to fight them - they crawl on all my stuff during their search for humid places. :p )

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's the problem with them. They get into EVERYTHING. Annoying but harmless. If you can get a small dehumidifier (maybe rent one?) it is helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom