Lowest Temp to survive

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkelly

Hi there. I am from Middle Europe and winter is coming. It is allready like 60F. And will be only colder. If I can I dont want inscect in my aparmanet, I keep it in my basement, whitch is seprete from my apartmant but unfortunatly it is not heated and no electric drawer ( so no heat pads, etc.). My beardie is only few months old so it is our frist winter together. Is there incect that survive in cold temps? Now I feed him with dubias, locusts and superworms.
I am suprise that dubia roaches are still alive, I really tought they are tropical.. I have like 1000 of them ( bought them really cheap) , At night they are in like 50F room and I really dont have some masive deads, few here and there.
Locusts starts to die more the usual.. ( I buy them by 100 ) And form last batch like 20 died:-(
Superworms seems to be fine ( I tought they start die on me, but I think they more likely shed).
What can I do?... I dont want to bread incect all I want is for it to survive and be in good condition to be eaten by my beardie.
There is no way I keep any type of roach in the aparmanet. If they get out I would be murdered in my sleep:)
Maybe I would be able to keep locusts in apartmant...
Any ideas? I really dont want to by overprice insect daily from something like petco..

MsCarter

Juvie Member
Someone on here will probably be much more helpful in this area than I will be as I haven't had to deal with this issue first hand. My first thought is to get a cemetric type of heater for the roaches to keep them at a comfortable room temp (not warm enough to breed or anything) and maybe invest in black soldier fly larvae. As long as it's not dropping below 45 I think the BSFL will actually last longer in cooler temps.

Gail

BD.org Addict
I've had dubia survive for a few days in the 40's but they stop eating and appeared unhealthy. They really need to be kept warm. Superworms can't take cold either, thats why you don't refrigerate them.

Gail

BD.org Addict
Dubia really are safe to keep in your house. They can't climb and only adult males will ever try to fly (flutter really) so you use a screen lid on their tub. The only way they will get loose is if you drop them or kick their tub over.

tkelly

Original Poster
Gail":uudfca6r said:
Dubia really are safe to keep in your house. They can't climb and only adult males will ever try to fly (flutter really) so you use a screen lid on their tub. The only way they will get loose is if you drop them or kick their tub over.
Thank you for your reply and I know you are right!! Thing is I dont live alone and members of my family hates roaches. I love my family and will not do anything that would make them uncomfortable at home.
I found solution. My familly agree, that locust are ok to keep at home. So during winter that will be my beloved dragon main food.
I will give away most of my dubia colony ( all of the adults) to someone in my region, who can breed them whitout problem. ( Will do this every winter I thing ). And at spring I will buy 1000 dubias again. My dragon should be amloust adult by then, so mabe he will not eat that mutch.
And supers are so cheap I will not store them and just buy few of them like 2 times a week.

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
Can you get calci worms? aka phoenix worms, black soldier fly larvae? They don't require additional calcium dusting and can be left in the tank for the lizard to eat when they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom