Is this how Calci worms are packaged?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking in a pet store today and was suprised to find they were selling calci-worms. The package did seem to be be mostly soil with what didn't appear to be many worms.

88387-2188087111.jpg

I've never seen them on sale before, so I wasn't sure if I was getting a good thing or not. They were on offer for 4 tubs for £7

I ended up buying four tubs of dubias instead. Which about averged about 12 - 15 in each tub, which I was pleased with as they seemed very cheap at that price.

MsCarter

Juvie Member
Every vendor packages differently. But you do want them to come with some type of substrate like this. I recommend ordering online if you ever want to purchase calci worms. ive found some great vendors on eBay as well as Amazon. Just be warned "smalls" are extremely tiny so I would only order medium-large ones

BensBeardie

Original Poster
They looked tiny for size they were meant to be. I think they were medium. Everything else seems to come with bug grub / bran which to me is a lot cleaner.
Can the substrate be rinsed off easily, or do they need to picked out?

I'm looking at ordering 1000 Calci worms. I just want to make sure I can look after them before I do.

MsCarter

Juvie Member
You want to make sure they aren't housed in manure and things related to that. An easy way to get the substrate off is by dropping the worms in a cup of water. The worms will float and the dirt will sink. At least it's suppose to work that way but many times my worms sink as well lol. I just get them back out with tweezers and the substrate is still washed off. They can be gutloaded I recently discovered feeding them can actually prevent them from turning into flies. But they are viewed as "natures pill" full of great stuff just the way they are so you do not have to feed them if you do not want to.

You can always put the worms in a small strainer (I use one for loose leaf tea) and wash them off that way. MUCH easier than putting them in a cup of water, in my opinion. They always seemed to sink right along with the dirt for me.

MsCarter

Juvie Member
allusiontoanillusion":2cd4y9ge said:
You can always put the worms in a small strainer (I use one for loose leaf tea) and wash them off that way. MUCH easier than putting them in a cup of water, in my opinion. They always seemed to sink right along with the dirt for me.

Such a brilliant idea that I should've thought of long ago. i have also discovered that not all of the worms float like they are suppose to. Digging them out with tweezers is such a pain lol

BensBeardie

Original Poster
I had an order of 1000 arrive today. They are in a soil substrate. So I'm going to have to clean them them all, before I can feed them.

If want do them all I one go, is something like oats or crunched corn flakes ok to put them in? Adding some fruit, veg scraps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom