Silkwoms as a daily feeder

Status
Not open for further replies.

tatmarow

Any info on silkworms would be nice whether it be about breeding or just them as a whole. Can bearded dragons eat the moths?

MsCarter

Juvie Member
I know very little about them in general since I haven't been able to purchase any yet. I do know that according to every nutritional chart I have found they are the most well rounded insect to feed beardies. They have the most protein, plenty of moisture and calcium and no hard outter shell. In other words they would make the best staple especially for a growing beardie. As far as the moths, I'm pretty sure dragons can eat them as well. I don't know any thing about their nutritional content however

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Yep, I know of some beardie breeders who claim they give silkworms as the sole feeder insect for very young hatchlings and claim they get a great headstart from this diet cf with woodies or crickets.
BSF maggots are near impossible to buy as feeder insects here in Australia and I expect if they were available commercially these would the feeder of choice.

I gave George and Mildred (BTS), then Puff and Rex ,and more recently Peppa and Toothless, small silkworms as one their 3 daily insect meal when very young (up to 4 months old) and as they and the worms grew, it become medium silkworms as one of their two daily insect meals up to about 6 months old at which point I ran out of silkworms.

This is how I raise them : viewtopic.php?f=76&t=222193

I tend to give a mixture of staple high quality live insects to my lizards when they are young and growing fast. Silkworms are great as a feeder insect - I essentially left the worms on a bit of fresh mulberry leaf in their feeder bowls - the worms don't move fast of far.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
tatmarow":15pzetjo said:
Any info on silkworms would be nice whether it be about breeding or just them as a whole. Can bearded dragons eat the moths?
The moths are great beardie treats !! all mine love a live silkworm moth as a treat ....

one medium gutloaded cricket weights about 0.25g
one medium (40mm) silkworm weights about 1.33g
one small (30mm) silkworm weights about 0.52g

when I'm substituting I use the following live insect protein equivalents :

10 medium crickets = 2 medium (40mm) silkworms
10 medium crickets = 5 - 6 small (30mm) silkworms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom