Getting out the dubia I want to feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

MostBeast

I just started a dubia colony. 15 females, 10 males all adults. I'm planning on getting a few more females to make that ratio a little better. But it's week 1 and I've got babies everywhere! I'm going to let this colony sit for about 3-4 months and see what comes of it, however I have one question I can't seem to find anywhere. I've obviously got the adult breeders I don't want to feed off. For crickets I used to use this orange juice jug with the bottom cut out and I'd just smack a egg crate on that and I'd have what I needed. Now, I will have babies, adults, and the feeders I want to feed all in the same container. Any advice?

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
There are a few different ways to do this. You can buy some cheap little buckets, since it's near Halloween you could buy some from the dollar store, and poke holes in the bottom. Now you will want to put holes the size of the babies you want so the bigger ones stay in the bucket. You can also try a colander if the holes are big enough. You will still have to deal with their droppings so you will have to look through it to get all the babies. It is a time consuming process but if you have a lot you can just put the babies in a smaller container like a plastic shoe box with a lid and then you won't have to deal with sorting for a while. Make sure you keep some babies in the colony as they do take a few months to get bigger and you will want to keep the cycle going in case your adults are pretty old. If you don't want to deal with all that, I usually just take all the egg cartons and stuff out and collect the babies with a spoon that would last a few days or so. Also make sure you have an extra bin the size your colony is in for sorting and when you need to clean the bin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom