Adult dubias

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsCarter

Juvie Member
I recently ran out of Dubias and had to run to the local pet store to get a few to last my girl until her next shipment arrives. The issue is this pet store does not have a good sense of dubia size since we asked for mediums and they bought out a bag full of fully grown adults some with wings and all ? So creepy!
I immediately said "if that's your mediums I'd hate to see what you consider large!" I asked him to exchange them for "smalls" which are about 1" lol. After getting them home and putting them in their cage to begin gutloading them I noticed a few are adult females (about 1 1/2-2" long). My dragon is only about 15 1/2 inches long. I feed her occasional supers as treats which she handles very well. I'm wondering if it would be safe to feed her these large Dubias? My partner says I should cut them in half but I honestly don't think I have the stomach or heart to do it. On top of this I've read adults shouldn't be fed and should only be used to breed. Any thoughts?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds like she may be big enough to chew them apart pretty well so it isn't likely to cause an issue. Otherwise you could take advantage of having some adults and get a colony started more quickly.

MsCarter

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I would love to start a colony however I do not have any place to really store them. My house is pretty small and I can't have a dubia colony in my living room ?
For now I have to continue spending a small fortune to order in bulk every week or two *sigh* oh well.
Thank you for your feedback. I feel pretty confident that she can handle the adults just wanted an extra opinion to be sure adults are safe to feed in general

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom