Dubia Roaches: Caring/Breeding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, i've just decided to start breeding/caring for Blaptica Dubia Roaches. I've done some research but I have a few questions:

1- How hot should their container be?
2- Do I need a heat pad? If so, will it melt my plastic container? What Wattage do I need?
3- Should I have triple the amount of females than males? (3:1)?
4- Do I need to use water absorbing crystals to hydrate the roaches? Can I just feed them Vegetables?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Dubias are pretty easy to care for. They do well in a wide range of temps. I keep mine in the cellar and they are OK in the high 60s and when I put a CHE over them and give them low 90s in some spots they breed much more quickly. If you keep a CHE suspended above the plastic it should work but it can cause the air to become quite dry. A heat mat shouldn't melt it if it's functioning properly. I would sit it so there is airflow under the bin/mat and perhaps use a thermostat to prevent overheating. There are also heat bands that are popular. I haven't used them but they should be OK on plastic bins too. The 3:1 ratio is usually what I read about for starting a colony. I just started with about 600 mixed size nymphs and it worked. It takes longer than with adults though. I don't use the crystals. I just offer fresh veges every day and they are content. They like orange slices and squash especially but are good at composting pretty much any veg scraps I throw their way.

There is a good writeup about their care here: http://www.southtexasdragons.com/dubia-roaches.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom