Crickets dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daj

My feeder crickets seem to be dying off from unknown reasons. I don't know what info I should list, but any questions needed to help solve this, I would be glad to answer.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What are you feeding them? Do you have the enclosure in a warm place? They seem to prefer warmer temperatures.

Daj

Original Poster
CooperDragon":223281ys said:
What are you feeding them? Do you have the enclosure in a warm place? They seem to prefer warmer temperatures.
I feed them some ground up catfood as i've heard it can be a good alternative, as well as apples, carrots, etc. They are in a warm place.

Mordecai

Juvie Member
I keep crickets and I have found that they are pigs and need to have food all the time. I feed mine all the veggies that my dragon eats. This keeps them hydrated and gut loads them with yummy veggies for your beardie. The more often I feed them the longer they last. Good luck.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I buy my crickets weekly in bulk lots if 800 x 2/3 size. Order Monday they arrive Wednesday or Thursday am.

I keep then in 700ml plastic food tubs (I used to buy my crickets from pet shops and they always came in this size tub - I saved most the tubs when the crickets were used , cleaned and f10ed them, and they are great for keeping the crickets in (I get 8 - 10 tubs of crickets from a bulk tube).

I give them fresh carrot chunks (about 1" long) , ad about 10 repcal adult beardie pellets straight from the bottle when keeping them for more than 1 - 2 days, the tubs I plan on using inside 1- 2 days get a buk choi leaf to help gut load them.

You will loose some , since I get some adult size mixed in the 2/3 size some die of old age before I get to use them. So I check my cricket tubs every few days and remove the dead / dying crickets and replace the carrot chunks and top up the pellets.
Seems work OK.

Advantage of keeping them in batches of 80 or so in smaller keeper tubs is if the crickets have a communicable desease or some have been paracitised by tiny wasps, you'll not loose every cricket , only maybe 1 or 2 tubs of crickets.
Keeping the crickets in a clean habitat and at about 24- 26oCelsius seems to be the best.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
What size are the crix ,what do you keep them in and how are they set up ? Anything with a lid on it or too small of a container can cause a moldiness/stagnancy that can kill them. Plus, large crix may be at the end of their life span which I believe is only 2-3 months.

Daj

Original Poster
AHBD":g6rvu3id said:
What size are the crix ,what do you keep them in and how are they set up ? Anything with a lid on it or too small of a container can cause a moldiness/stagnancy that can kill them. Plus, large crix may be at the end of their life span which I believe is only 2-3 months.
I have them in a big tub with a lid over top (It is screen). They are about 5 - 6 weeks old. What I don't understand is the last batch of crickets I had they all survived, only a couple died.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Do you have them shipped ? Sometimes they get overheated during shipping at some point and are weak, then start dying after they arrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom