Locust in USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been looking for locust and/or grasshoppers for three days now. My bearded dragon Doesn't eat crickets, only dubias and worms. But I was hoping for a bit more diversity. (He loves his veggies though) He is around 3 months and 10 inches long. He still has about 8- 10 inches to grow. Unfortunally I have not been able to find any locust/grasshoppers for him. :cry:

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't know of any in the US. It's good that he eats dubias. Perhaps you could try some different roaches in addition to the worms. Maybe some red runners or horseshoe crab roaches added in now and then would be good.

illuminis

Hatchling Member
Unfortunately the USDA would not allow the sale/interstate shipping of grasshoppers because they are considered an agricultural pest. You can buy them in pet shops in Europe but not here. If you want to go to the trouble you could breed them yourself but that would be about the only way to have a supply of them.
You would have to catch them yourself and breed them a few cycles before I would consider them safe for feeding.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
If you decide to catch and breed grasshoppers be careful to positively ID them. Some species are toxic.

Other inverts you can find commercially to add variety include: different roaches (red runner/turkistan roaches, hissing roaches, discoid roaches, banana roaches), larval, pupal and adult forms of black soldier flies, silkworms, hornworms, superworms and wax worms. (Not sure what worms you already offer). Isopods (rolly Polly bugs) are also decently easy to culture and the big ones may be a nice snack/treat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom