Can I mix 1000 3/8" with 300 3/4" Dubias? & other questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

BriGecko

I have a large, 30 gallon Rubbermaid container that houses 1000 tiny 3/8" dubias that came in a couple weeks ago. (they grow fast!) Today, I got in an order of 300 3/4" dubias. On top of that, I have 5 males and 15 females in a large, black 40 gallon container. Should I put the new 3/4" ones in with the adults or with the 3/8" ones? Will it encourage breeding if I put the 3/4" ones in with the adults? Will the large ones... eat the smaller ones?

Wanting to keep the tiny ones separate from the adults so I can see when the first batch of babies appears. Will probably mix all the sizes together after that to encourage breeding (is that a myth?).

Thanks in advance for any tips or advice.

quyllur

Hatchling Member
I would put the 3/4" in with the adults. They like to be crowded. I have heard that having the babies in with the adults encourages breeding. I don't have any data or anecdotal evidence to back that up as I've always just kept mine all together in one container. They adults will not eat the babies. The only violence I've seen is if you have too many adult males they will fight each other and chew on each others wings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom