Bugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsWojdyla

I recently received my first large order of crickets via mail. After I opened the box I noticed there were small black beetle things in the box with the crickets. Also, there were little black worms that looked a little like mini caterpillars in the box. I'm wondering if this is something I should be concerned about? I got as many out as I could but I still don't want to risk giving my girl something that could hurt her.
Thanks in advance for any help on the issue

vulcan2016

Hatchling Member
i did the same thing i ordered from www.ghann.com got the same concern as you so i emailed them and asked and they said that they were just pests and they would not harm anything i just picked em all out and killed them in the garbage disposal or throw them outside. my vulcan ate that entire order and is fine.

Mordecai

Juvie Member
I believe they are called clean up crew. They are in there to eat dead crickets. They will not harm your beardie.

MsWojdyla

Original Poster
Thank you guys, makes me feel a little better. If crickets weren't already bad enough on their own! makes me even more excited to switch to dubias for sure lol

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Mordecai is right, they are the " cleaner crew " , the proper name is Dermestid beetles and their larva. Beardies actually like the larva, but they are scavengers. The beetles can fly [ but they don't very often ] so you should kill them to be sure they don't locate to somewhere in your house. I've used crickets for many years though and never had a problem with the beetles getting out of the tote and into the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom