Roach Bin Perforated Pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Insomnia turns into quiet creative thinking. I am tired of throwing away egg flats for my cricket and roach hiding places. So was trying to think of ways to avoid throwing away money. So I'm thinking I'm going to buy 3" plastic perforated corrugated drain pipe. I'm going to cut several lengths of it approx 12" shorter than the length of the roach bin. I'll stack them on top of each other to about 6"-8" below the bin lid. It should be easy for the roaches to climb inside and outside the tubes. The corrugation and perforations will aid in grip. Every now and then the tubes could be picked up and shaken to empty frass out of them. Each bin cleaning, the tubes could be emptied and sterilized.
I am a bit concerned about humidity, but if that is an issue I could try setting the pipes on thier ends to see if that would help.Worse case senerio I could mount a low speed fan on the outside of the screen lid. Not sure if its a good idea until I try it out....but it sounds good in theory.

vulcan2016

Hatchling Member
I am not sure about roaches but with crickets if the surface is smooth they cant climb it. I do not know what kind or brand of pipe you are going to use but it is something to add to your thought process.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
The pipe I'm thinking about is rippled and grooved with drainage slots perforating all sides of the pipe at frequent intervals. I have used it before for a drain pipe in my yard. But it was larger diameter...I think the smallest standard size is 3". I may have some of the extra 4" pipe in my garage somewhere. I'll have to dig around to see what it looks like.
You might be correct about it not working well for crickets...but might work for roaches.
I'll just have to give it a shot to see if it is actually practical. I'll be thrilled if it works...if not it was worth a try, and the pipe isn't expensive :)
(Edit: I'm going to set up a small orange head roach bin this way to test it out. I don't want to experiment with the Ivory heads Kyle (Roach Crossing owner) is sending me next week. Too rare and too expensive. But when they are available, Kyle's are 1/3 the cost of anyone else's.)

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I'll post results and pictures once I get it put together. Its unfortunate my colony isn't bigger...so I probably won't have perfect data for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom