Silkworm and Dubai breed & raise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigresssnow

Hatchling Member
I will be purchasing a few thousand silkworm eggs for my 15 hungry hatchlings and my total 52 and counting reptiles in my home. I'd like to continue the cycle to cut down costs and need some heading on raising them please!
Also. I know all the legal stuff about dyscoids in canada.. But I'm considering a Dubai colony as well. Crickets are too expensive and a bad batch gave my precious pebbles parasites. Any help is appreciated, sites, guidance and pointers are all welcome.
Please don't lecture on the illegal matter of dyscoids, I've done my research and will only use them for my reptiles and they will not leave my home. Thank you very much! :D

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
see my threads you might get some ideas on raising silkworms .... I've been very successful with my silkworms this year.
viewtopic.php?f=76&t=222193
viewtopic.php?f=76&t=221814

You'll get about 400 eggs per female silkworm moth. I've found the moths are good treats for the hatchlings too (especially the surplus male moths).

Currently raising some baby silkworms that were eggs I chilled from my last batch of silkworms that I chilled in the fridge but was compelled to hatch after my adorable 5 yr old grandson had a temper tantrum and turned off the spare fridge's powerpoint , they warmed up and can't be chilled again once warmed up (kills the eggs) , these are being raised thawed blanched mulberry leaves and it seems to be working OK (in that most the baby works are growing and still alive.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Tigresssnow":1jw244xb said:
Thank you! How long do the hatched worms take to be big enough for a hatchling beardie?

Depends on how much food they have access to and temperatures more than anything . In summer here (25oC inside the house , hotter outside) it took 2 - 3 weeks to get to meal worm sized and ideal for really little hatchlings beardies.
In winter (about 21 - 23oC) and a lot colder outside, it's taking longer (but this is my batch on blanched tender mulberry leaves).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom