silkworm eggs started hatching, too late to chill rest ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
CooperDragon":1ime9ard said:
Are you going to let some of them morph and make another batch of eggs?

I think I'll have no choice, counted the large worms this afternoon when I've cleaning the two 4.5L tubs and giving them some more chow , got 80 of them , and about 60 mediums (from the July batch) .

I'm giving two each per day to Peppa and the two BTs , Toothless prefers his silkworms to be under 2 inches so he gets 3 - 4 of them per day.
I'll never use them all before they morph.

Guess I could blanch and freeze some of the large ones too if I really wanted too, but I can't see my having a shortage of silkworms anytime for the foreseeable future as I've already got stacks of eggs in the fridge from October and from the last batch too , my problem the last month was unavailable fresh mulberry leaves, they are available again now, and I've got a batch coming from Sydney next week (same lady I gut my last lot of leave off).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
The July batch are nearly all either eaten or pupating now, only about 20 left.

Will be up to my eyeballs in silkworm moths in a week or two when they start emerging from the pig pile of cocoons I have.

Finally got some fresh mulberry leaves.... will reserve these for the smallest of the August batch and for the next batch of eggs I hatch as I still have about 40g (powder basis) of chow ready to use.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
All used and some pupating now.

Waiting on another batch of eggs from last October to hatch and the 40 cocoons I have now to produce moths.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom