silkworm eggs started hatching, too late to chill rest ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
mommacude":2vmvb6k5 said:
My leaves go crispy in a matter of hours. I put two layers today. I'm hoping it'll keep fresh longer.

Also, I had some eggs that came to me loose in a baggy. They were sort of squished in the packaging. I keep them anyway. Some have hatched and I moved them, some others look greyish but I think I see a touch of fuzzy stuff on them. Wonder if throwing them onto a paper towel loose was bad.

If there is fuzzy stuff on them .... it could be mouth feathers/scales ? (in which case - not an issue) OR white or yellow mould (bad - quaranteen them , some might hatch and be OK).

Dry paper towel is OK.

I think you need a 750ml or 1L plastic tub for your egg hatching tub, this will be easy to seal airtight so the leaf for the baby worms wont dry out as fast (less dry air in the sealed airtight tub).

Large worms leafs , I was giving 4 large leaves 2x per day, for 200 worms. You will waste less leaves (by them drying out) if you give enough leaves so they eat most the leaves between each meal.
You could try rejuvenating the dry leaves how I rejuvenated the dried blanched leaf (seems to work OK), BUT make sure to pat it dry before returning it to the worms.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Freshly thawed leaf in today, old leaves pretty crispy and some very skeletonised , so first leaf change at end of first week.

Still stacks of live tiny worms , still no mould.

mommacude

Hatchling Member
kingofnobbys":3r1j5gh9 said:
If there is fuzzy stuff on them .... it could be mouth feathers/scales ? (in which case - not an issue) OR white or yellow mould (bad - quaranteen them , some might hatch and be OK).

Dry paper towel is OK.

I think you need a 750ml or 1L plastic tub for your egg hatching tub, this will be easy to seal airtight so the leaf for the baby worms wont dry out as fast (less dry air in the sealed airtight tub).

Large worms leafs , I was giving 4 large leaves 2x per day, for 200 worms. You will waste less leaves (by them drying out) if you give enough leaves so they eat most the leaves between each meal.
You could try rejuvenating the dry leaves how I rejuvenated the dried blanched leaf (seems to work OK), BUT make sure to pat it dry before returning it to the worms.
Thank you! I have been keeping the ones with leaves in a cardboard box. I also got a shipment that came with chow which I have in a plastic container. I will try moving the first batch out of cardboard and see if that helps. I was just worried about mold.

mommacude

Hatchling Member
kingofnobbys":lggftr7u said:
Freshly thawed leaf in today, old leaves pretty crispy and some very skeletonised , so first leaf change at end of first week.

I'm wasting leaves because they never eat them before they dry. Thankfully I have red mulberry near my office. I'm trying to keep the tiny white mulberry leaves for the babies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
mommacude":2l2d7tn9 said:
kingofnobbys":2l2d7tn9 said:

I'm wasting leaves because they never eat them before they dry. Thankfully I have red mulberry near my office. I'm trying to keep the tiny white mulberry leaves for the babies.

Never seen a red mulberry, I am very familiar with hicks (black) and white mulberry though.

I've got a hicks cutting in a 400mm diam selfwatering pot in my backyard , and a couple or white mulberry seedlings in another similar pot.
WIll take several years before they are big enough to transplant into the backyard and several more years before they are big enough to harvest leaves from. I bought the seedling and cuttings on ebay about 18 months ago along with a load of other berry plants .... all in 400mm diam selfwatering pots , will eventually have a micro berry and fruit orchard in my backyard - I love berries and fruit (esp hard to find tropical fruits like sapotes etc). Don't forget to harvest some of the berries when they are ripe , the are very yummy either straight off the tree (was a real treat for us in summer as kids - we'd raid a big ancient mulberry one of the neighbours (had to over 100 years old - was huge !) it had that had large branches overhanging a big vacant lot - we'd go to the vacant lot and collect buckets full of mulberries (and eat loads of them in the process) , great with other summer berries , on pavlovas, and in tarts and pies, some of the moms even made bottles of mulberry wine and mulberry jam.
Fresh berries are VERY EXPENSIVE to buy in supermarkets in tiny tubs , doesn't stop me from buying dozens of tubs of berries or all sorts in summer just before Xmas when I do make homemade family sized berry pies or all kinds and mixtures for us to freeze and eat over the year and to give as gifts to family and friends .... I'll usually do about 12 - 16 berry pies , and last summer I invested in a nice Kenwood Chef mixer which came with an icecream maker as a freebie , so I started making berry sorbets and icecreams too (we keep these for ourselves ... too tasty to give away).

I expect red mulberry will be just as tasty.

The berries are also a great treat for the beardies too.

mommacude

Hatchling Member
kingofnobbys":23qu05df said:
Never seen a red mulberry, I am very familiar with hicks (black) and white mulberry though.

I've got a hicks cutting in a 400mm diam selfwatering pot in my backyard , and a couple or white mulberry seedlings in another similar pot.
WIll take several years before they are big enough to transplant into the backyard and several more years before they are big enough to harvest leaves from. I bought the seedling and cuttings on ebay about 18 months ago along with a load of other berry plants .... all in 400mm diam selfwatering pots , will eventually have a micro berry and fruit orchard in my backyard - I love berries and fruit (esp hard to find tropical fruits like sapotes etc). Don't forget to harvest some of the berries when they are ripe , the are very yummy either straight off the tree (was a real treat for us in summer as kids - we'd raid a big ancient mulberry one of the neighbours (had to over 100 years old - was huge !) it had that had large branches overhanging a big vacant lot - we'd go to the vacant lot and collect buckets full of mulberries (and eat loads of them in the process) , great with other summer berries , on pavlovas, and in tarts and pies, some of the moms even made bottles of mulberry wine and mulberry jam.
Fresh berries are VERY EXPENSIVE to buy in supermarkets in tiny tubs , doesn't stop me from buying dozens of tubs of berries or all sorts in summer just before Xmas when I do make homemade family sized berry pies or all kinds and mixtures for us to freeze and eat over the year and to give as gifts to family and friends .... I'll usually do about 12 - 16 berry pies , and last summer I invested in a nice Kenwood Chef mixer which came with an icecream maker as a freebie , so I started making berry sorbets and icecreams too (we keep these for ourselves ... too tasty to give away).

The red mulberry tree is native here in Texas, the white is introduced. I have moved them into a small plastic container and that is MUCH better! The leaves are staying fresh all day. I tried an experiment. I placed some white mulberry leaves (which are much more tender) and a large red mulberry leaf in the tub. They ate all the white leaf and left the red. The red are also older, so that could be part of it but I suspect they just prefer the white. Everything I have read indicates that is much better for them. Here's something I found about the difference between the trees. https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/fnr/fnr_237.pdf

mommacude

Hatchling Member
kingofnobbys":1qc3qnhy said:
Fresh berries are VERY EXPENSIVE to buy in supermarkets in tiny tubs , doesn't stop me from buying dozens of tubs of berries or all sorts in summer just before Xmas when

I have had mulberries fresh off the tree at my sister in law's house. Very yummy! Come to think of it I should have eaten some in the woods by my office when I saw them. I just didn't want to take the time to go wash them off at work. The berries are sometimes white and sometimes dark purple here.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Still no sign of any white or yellow furry fungus :)

The leaves I put in a few days ago are still "soft".

Still have live baby worms (noted some new babies , some more of the eggs already in the tub have hatched).

mommacude

Hatchling Member
kingofnobbys":1tdujx7w said:
Still no sign of any white or yellow furry fungus :)

The leaves I put in a few days ago are still "soft".

Still have live baby worms (noted some new babies , some more of the eggs already in the tub have hatched).
The eggs I got that I initially thought were bad are hatching 2-3 a day for over a week. I made the mistake of adding new baby leaves on top and got a little mold. I only lost 2-3 worms. Sterilized and carefully moved the tiny worms back and they're fine now. I'm running out of the smallest mulberry leaves so I guess I need to visit my friend again.

mommacude

Hatchling Member
kingofnobbys":cw7cguab said:
Try cutting a lump of chow off , placing it between 2 layers of plastic cling film/ baking paper or even thin clear plastic sheets , then using a rolling pin to press it / roll it nice and thin and flat.... This is what I do when using chow rather than leaves.

(the reason I form up small amounts of chow (say 40g of powder per batch) into "sausage" shaped "logs" of ready to use chow).
This is working GREAT! I don't have many worms so making the small batch is awesome. Thank you!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
mommacude":35dk1o1i said:
kingofnobbys":35dk1o1i said:
Try cutting a lump of chow off , placing it between 2 layers of plastic cling film/ baking paper or even thin clear plastic sheets , then using a rolling pin to press it / roll it nice and thin and flat.... This is what I do when using chow rather than leaves.

(the reason I form up small amounts of chow (say 40g of powder per batch) into "sausage" shaped "logs" of ready to use chow).
This is working GREAT! I don't have many worms so making the small batch is awesome. Thank you!

:) thought you'd like it ....

.... this is the beauty of places like this , you can always find someone who has a little more experience and who has learnt things "the hard way" and is willing to share their knowhow.

mommacude

Hatchling Member
kingofnobbys":3vslgq76 said:
:) thought you'd like it ....

.... this is the beauty of places like this , you can always find someone who has a little more experience and who has learnt things "the hard way" and is willing to share their knowhow.
Exactly. I also true rejuvenating some chow that dried out which was sent with the worms. Will report back!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Just an update:

Successfully raised about 2000 silkworms ( +/- a few , never counted them and yes , lost a some along the way as you do when raising silkworms , just part of the process).

Last of my worms raised on thrawed mulberry leaves that I blanched and then patted dry and froze have been eaten now. The worms started to go Peppa and Toothless when about small size (1.5 - 2 inches long , usually 10 - 15 each per sitting) in leu of crickets, and then as they grew larger Rex and the two big bluetongues got to share too along with Peppa and Toothless, 5 - 6 each per feeding season.

I have no doubt the worms would have pupated and successfully became fertile moths given the chance.

Also found this (a new silkworm supplier here in Australia) who has some good tips on his site.
https://www.facebook.com/aussiefauna/photos/pb.1570796246527554.-2207520000.1471935314./1758121424461701/?type=3&theater

mommacude

Hatchling Member
kingofnobbys":3lgn3p03 said:
Just an update:

Successfully raised about 2000 silkworms ( +/- a few , never counted them and yes , lost a some along the way as you do when raising silkworms , just part of the process).

Last of my worms raised on thrawed mulberry leaves that I blanched and then patted dry and froze have been eaten now. The worms started to go Peppa and Toothless when about small size (1.5 - 2 inches long , usually 10 - 15 each per sitting) in leu of crickets, and then as they grew larger Rex and the two big bluetongues got to share too along with Peppa and Toothless, 5 - 6 each per feeding season.

I have no doubt the worms would have pupated and successfully became fertile moths given the chance.

Also found this (a new silkworm supplier here in Australia) who has some good tips on his site.
https://www.facebook.com/aussiefauna/photos/pb.1570796246527554.-2207520000.1471935314./1758121424461701/?type=3&theater
That's a lot! What are you doing with so many? I have about 250 or so right now. A lot will be spinning soon. My dragon is eating 3-5 big ones a day. I bought most as worms but also bought some eggs to work on that part of the process. I have some eggs laid by my last batch too, still chilling waiting.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
mommacude":2qhmfxlm said:
kingofnobbys":2qhmfxlm said:
Just an update:

That's a lot! What are you doing with so many? I have about 250 or so right now. A lot will be spinning soon. My dragon is eating 3-5 big ones a day. I bought most as worms but also bought some eggs to work on that part of the process. I have some eggs laid by my last batch too, still chilling waiting.

LOL , yep was heaps more than I was planning on for the next silkworm raising campaign, but that was how many eggs I had chilling in my spare fridge in sample bottles when our 5yr grandson had a temper tantrum and flicked the wall switch to off , unfortunately when eggs have been chilled and then warmed back up, as happened to these before we discovered the fridge was turned off (the next day) you can't rechill the eggs without killing them , so I had to let them all hatch.

Ordinarily I'd hatch 300-500 or so at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom