Alternative Roach/Superworm Keeping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I've been experimenting with keeping some of my feeder insects in a terrarium and wanted to share with everyone an alternative to keeping their roaches in a plain old bin. The advantage is that I basically do not have to clean - the super-worms/darkling beetles eat the molts and any dead roaches, the smaller bugs eat the small things and keep fungus/mold in check, the soil soaks up any moisture from food (I also spray it down from time to time to keep the soil moist) but it doesn't get all rank like when the food goes too long in the other tank and the whole thing just sort of smells... earthy. (My egg-crate bare bottom roach tank on the other hand has a distinct... bug smell).

It does have a couple draw-backs... I have one adult dragon, so I don't need to sort and don't feed smaller sizes, it would be a pain to get lots of little dubia out. I am ok with dirt, leaves and wood being part of my food chain (more variety) - selecting safe materials (wood, leaves, organic soils etc) is important though.

The first setup was just soil (organic potting soil) in a 20L with some isopods. The heat mat is on the side with slate and debris piled against it for the heat gradient.

The current setup is the same 30g with a better soil mix, isopods and springtails. It has a drainage layer, more branches (maple and oak mostly) and orchid bark and leaves mixed into the organic soil. There is also a lot of sand on the cool side, the darkling beetles really seem to like laying their eggs in the sandy soil.

Isopods (rolly polly bugs) and Springtails (they are very tiny)

The roaches are doing well, there is a heat mat under the left side and keeps the soil about 80F max. They burrow and cluster on the warm side, but are really all over the place. Its actually been fun to watch them - they are active little bugs that interact with each other and explore their environment even during the day (just not as much as at night). They have come out en-mass more than once when they can smell me cooking - its a little strange.

The superworms do a good job of cleaning any and all dead roaches and molts. They are also breeding like crazy. I will probably need to thin the population, this might be one of the draw backs actually as I don't want the superworms to out-compete the dubia. After I get rid of my other dubia colony I plan to have the other tank just supers so I don't need to worry about that. Its been pretty easy (with a little digging) to get ANY size of larvae and man are the little ones TINY. They pull things like mango pits and seeds under the soil and pick them clean and will even core core out the squash seeds and eat the insides.

I've also been experimenting with foods - the idea being to round out the diet of the insects to pass the goodness along. (Studies show that insects fed good diets all their lives are more nutritious than ones simply gutloaded prior to being fed off.) I stick with dragon-safe foods of course, mostly they get the salad leftovers, scraps and rinds. They do get meat every-now and then (not to much since the I don't want the roaches eating too much protein) but the superworms even cored the marrow out of chicken bones. The supers have different tastes in food than the roaches and even the different ages of roaches seem to have different tastes.
Bonus time-lapse of them eating homemade bread.
http://skies-of-salt.tumblr.com/post/128743900459/today-i-learned-the-roaches-love-bread-this-is

Bbr292

Great post, thanks for sharing. That time lapse was very cool to watch. I'll be adopting my beardie soon, trying to learn more about dubia and all the other feeders. The set you have for them is just awesome!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Another really interesting idea! Thanks for testing it out and putting together a writeup. Do you use the isopods in the bug tank to replenish the isopods in Pepper's tank, kind of like a farm system? Or do you keep them separate? I've thought about moving the darkling beetles I have (3) over to the bug tank but they seem fairly content in the superworm bin with some carrots/veges and cardboard housing.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
CooperDragon":25homwx6 said:
Another really interesting idea! Thanks for testing it out and putting together a writeup. Do you use the isopods in the bug tank to replenish the isopods in Pepper's tank, kind of like a farm system? Or do you keep them separate? I've thought about moving the darkling beetles I have (3) over to the bug tank but they seem fairly content in the superworm bin with some carrots/veges and cardboard housing.
The Isopods in the other enclosures seem to breed well on their own, the ones for this enclosure and my snake enclosures mostly came from peppers setup actually. I don't think it would be too hard to keep a culture of the Isopods on their own either, after a couple generations (to make sure they are free of contaminated) they couple be a nice addition to the diet.

Mizliz

Great post!!! I've been wanting to set up something like this for a while but haven't had the time to research it much. Around how much of each species did you start out with and do you use the same soil mix as you do in your bearded tank? Thanks!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Mizliz":38v44ezh said:
Great post!!! I've been wanting to set up something like this for a while but haven't had the time to research it much. Around how much of each species did you start out with and do you use the same soil mix as you do in your bearded tank? Thanks!
It's not the same mix, it's about 40/30/30 organic soil, sand, orchid bark, it's a little bit less sandy than the beardie soil but sandier would work too. (The supers breed fine in the bearded tank) I started with 50 supers, 2 cups of Dubia ( nymphs ) and a couple dozen Isopods.

Zuzu

Oh man i'd love to do this, i'd rather not have to clean a roach tub every couple months. This type of setup should also work in a plastic tub (with screen in the lid for ventilation) right? And also because I can't tell, what order did you layer the substrate?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Zuzu":2zdztlbj said:
Oh man i'd love to do this, i'd rather not have to clean a roach tub every couple months. This type of setup should also work in a plastic tub (with screen in the lid for ventilation) right? And also because I can't tell, what order did you layer the substrate?

It certainly would!
The drainage layer is first, I used expanded clay balls, but the "egg crate" plastic light diffuser works too, so does pea gravel (it's just crazy heavy). You want plenty of air space for extra moisture to escape too. Over that is landscape fabric or window screen - keeps the soil from sifting into the drainage layer. Then the soil/sand - it gets pretty mixed together by the superworms so I wouldn't worry too much about nice layers.

Mizliz

Ordered my dubias! Do you suggest the glass tank over a plastic bin? I can get either for about the same price but the glass seems easier lol.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Mizliz":2cjyxfa9 said:
Ordered my dubias! Do you suggest the glass tank over a plastic bin? I can get either for about the same price but the glass seems easier lol.
I like glass because I can see in (it's really helpful to see the soil layer to judge if it's too dry) and don't have to worry about the heat mat damaging the plastic.

Again, if your feeding lots little roaches they will probably be harder to find and collect than a standard setup.

Also, Some people have had issues with soil gnats - it wouldn't be a bad idea to bake or freez the soil before using it to kill eggs. I've not had a problem personally but have heard they can be wretched.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
I(edited: I misunderstood your post, so modified mine) usually allergic to roaches, but I'm not noticing issues with dubia yet.. I ordered orange headed roaches today. They breed faster than dubias are meatier.. Also bought some buffalo beetles. They eat mold, mites, uneaten food, roach droppings, decaying garbage...etc. Can't leave them in with dragons they are aggressive feeders. They also produce mealworm like larve.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
I'd like to get a colony or lareralis/red runner roaches but I think I may try crickets next. I have a lot less smell and dust problems with the soil setup than the "dry" setup so I'm curious of crickets would be more manageable. Some other folks who keep their dragons on bioactive use the buffalo beetles/lesser mealworms but I've not gotten around to pricing them out and my setup seems to do fine with what's in it now.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Cape Cod Roaches has the buffalo beetles $2/25.
I bought $20 worth. I want to use them in the cricket bin also.

I set the dubias up with a substrate of coconut coir. Its only about 0.5" just enough to burrow a bit. I figure the buffalo beetles could us it until enough frass builds up.
I'm breeding crickets also. But I'm doing it by using screen covered containers filled with damp vermiculite. Crickets are highly canabalistic so a few rearing containers are needed to separate by size. The crickets also eat all the eggs if the egg laying container isn't covered with screen. Every other day I swap out the vermiculite. The eggs get put into a shoe box and placed in my incubator at 86°
I have had really good luck with it in the past, however I have had horrible failures also. Crickets are harder than the roaches, too many delicate requirements.

Taterbug, great post! Thank you for directing me here (from the gutloading topic)
I'm kind of excited about trying this. In all honesty, I kind of like my dubias and I think they will have a happier short life as a feeder insect in a set up like the one you are using- I can't wait to give this a try!
I do have a few questions for you when you have time/they might seem like silly questions but this is pretty new stuff for me:
Darkling beetles/mealworms- it sounds like these are a helpful part of the cleaner crew? Or do you have them because you feed mealworms to pets? (In other words, if I don't feed mealworms to pets, are mealworms/darklings still a helpful part of this bioactive setup? Same with superworms- are they in your setup because you feed them to pets or do they serve a purpose in the bioactive setup?
Did you just add mealworms and with time you had darkling beetles, correct? (You didn't buy darkling beetles... right?)
Springtails- just order a springtail culture and add it to the soil mixture?
Isopods- same thing- order, receive and add to the set up?
Where do you like to buy these little bugs? It seems Josh's Frogs have most of what I'd need...
Do all of these clean up bugs in general leave the feeder insects alone/they work together.
What if my beardie or gecko accidentally were to eat an isopod or darkling beetle... no big deal?
This will be a great bioactive intro for me- this summer I'm looking to set up geckos in a live viv and would like to learn some of the ins and outs now
Thank you again!
:D :blob5:
midwestmom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom