Overwhelming Juvy diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cynda2

I hate to say it, but I fantasized over owning a beardie and invested without fully understanding how much they can and will eat (only the viv and setup so far). Although I have enough money for the cost of food right now, being a college student, I don't have much flexibility and assurance over time.

I'm not too worried about when he becomes an adult (greens will be really easy), but the juvy diet just seems a bit overwhelming. The bearded dragon i'm looking to get is about 4-5 months old and I was thinking of switching between bulk orders of Reptiworms and 1k of small to medium crickets every 2 weeks to a month (each costing around 30-35 each w/shipping). This would eventually run me around $300+ on insects till adulthood; does this seem reasonable? I personally would like to avoid breeding dubia if possible, What would you recommend? I just want to make sure I'm as prepared as possible and ready before I take a beardie in, cause having to buy crickets at a pet store just seems like a waste of money, especially for juvys.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would definitely go with bulk ordering crickets if you're not up for starting a dubia colony. 1000 used to last me about a month or so. I kept them in a 20g tank with mesh top (rubbermaid tote with a mesh screen over a top hole would work too). Having some alternate feeders to rotate in is a good idea as well. The ReptiWorms are a good choice as are silk worms. The amount of bugs they need after about 12-18 months decreases drastically as you mentioned but do be prepared to spend between $30-50 or so per month on food. You also want to factor in the costs of good lighting, possible vet care, and a properly sized enclosure. It's cheaper to get a larger enclosure together with proper lighting early on rather than starting small and replacing a small enclosure with a larger one. If there are plenty of hides and things to climb on, small dragons usually do well in large enclosures and at 4-5 months old he should be fine in an enclosure that is at least 4'x2'x2'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom