Cricket Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Around how many crickets can I fit into a 2.5 gallon kritter keeper? Or should I just get a 5 gallon tank and use that instead, or along with the kitten keeper? I wanted to get 500 for when I get my beardie, but I don't know if I can house that many. And I don't really have the space for a 10 gallon or a larger container, so they're not really options unfortunately.

Could it help that the beardie is going to be young, and would therefore be eating smaller ones and at a fast pace?

Edit: or would I be better off getting dubia roaches? In which case, the same questions apply to them.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
500 may fit in a 5g tank but it may be a tight fit. I used to put 1000 in a 20g tank with some room to spare. I'd stack up some toilet paper tubes for housing so you can squeeze as much out of the vertical space as you can. If 500 stay healthy then it should be about 2-3 weeks worth of bugs for a dragon during a growth spurt. You could use the same size tank and type of setup for dubia roaches but I'd probably use a larger tank if you're planning on establishing a colony. You can also order dubia roaches and just feed them all off and re-order the way you would with crickets. The roaches are less noisy/smelly and are a bit heartier and easier to take care of than crickets in my opinion.

BeardieMankey

Original Poster
CooperDragon":311cvxku said:
500 may fit in a 5g tank but it may be a tight fit. I used to put 1000 in a 20g tank with some room to spare. I'd stack up some toilet paper tubes for housing so you can squeeze as much out of the vertical space as you can. If 500 stay healthy then it should be about 2-3 weeks worth of bugs for a dragon during a growth spurt. You could use the same size tank and type of setup for dubia roaches but I'd probably use a larger tank if you're planning on establishing a colony. You can also order dubia roaches and just feed them all off and re-order the way you would with crickets. The roaches are less noisy/smelly and are a bit heartier and easier to take care of than crickets in my opinion.

I'll consider the roaches. But it seems like they're a lot more expensive than crickets from what I've seen.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They are more expensive up front by around double. That's why they're more popular for starting colonies than ordering routinely. They're a bit more up front but cost near nothing once the colony is going strong. They're much easier to take care of. You're less likely to have large die offs. The bulk crickets are the cheapest way to go though unless you can find someone locally who has a colony and wants to get rid of some extras.

BeardieMankey

Original Poster
I'll probably try starting up a colony at some point, then. Although honestly I am feeling a little uneasy about the idea of working with roaches.

But if I do go for it, I'll probably still use crickets while the colony builds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom