NEED CRICKET CAGE ADVICE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. I have recently purchased a 10 gallon tank with a screen lid to keep my crickets in. Can anyone tell me how many crickets i can keep in here without a problem? The way i have it set up right now isnt very efficient, but i just located the perfect size tupperware container to put dry food/veggies and fruits. If i continue to supply egg cartons (and one long plastic tube), how many could i hold? Im only buying 1/4 inch size right now, but all size numbers are welcomed. Thank you and please help me out!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I used to keep 1000 in a 20g tank without a problem. I'd say you could have 500-1000 at a time in a 10g. I found that stacking cardboard tubes made for pretty efficient housing on one side and I put the food and water crystals on the other.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Right. I don't have any egg crates but the paper towel and toilet paper cardboard works really well and stacks up nicely. I use those for my dubia roach colony now too.

76248-4667963209.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's my dubia colony but I used the same tank and tubes when I kept crickets. That setup held 1,000 crickets at a time.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....just wanted to warn you that the small crickets will easily climb up in the corners where the sealant holds the joints together, and they can get up + out that way if your lid is not tight + the mesh is not small enough. It's not likely that bunches of them will escape, but just keep an eye to see that it's secure. I like the plastic totes myself, although the little crix can sometimes scale the walls as well.

Cooper has a great set up shown there....you can set up similarly, but with 350 of the 1/4" crickets you'll only need 4 -5 cardboard rolls like that.

Smawg

Hatchling Member
Love that idea with the tubes stacked like that, I buy 1,000 at a time 3/4 size and put them in a 20 gal. long.I just made a lid out of cardboard & popped some holes all over & keep cartons & a couple tubes.
I change the paper on the bottom of the tank every 3 days & cause they get stinking after a while. I even shake the cartons off & do a quick brushing of the cartons with a bottle brush to get some of the droppings off the cartons. 1/2 is there home & the other 1/2 is there dinner table lol
I feed my cricks what ever i would feed to my beardie.

As for cricket lives they do great in my setup so far.

80988-6654860424.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's similar to how I used to keep crickets. I used wood shavings as substrate (the bedding for Guinea Pigs etc) because I found it kept them from stinking as much and it was easier to just scoop up the chips on one side and throw them away with the waste, put down new chips, then do the same on the other side (shooing the crickets to the side I wasn't cleaning).

I didn't have an issue with the small crickets climbing the sealant either, but that's not to say they can't do it. My plan in that case was to put some vaseline or oil of some kind along the seals to help keep them from climbing - I just never needed to implement it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom