Need a laugh? Check this out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tehachopi

So I decided maybe it would be better to join the beardie community in ordering the lovely little insects in bulk so I placed an order for 1000 1/2 inch crickets to be shipped to my home. Dovakhiin is more than capable of eating them before they become too large and our other pets enjoy a good protein snack. Well I may have never gotten anything live in the mail but don't they normally come in a box labeled LIVE in bold letters?

The slip the delivery driver put in our mailbox stated the box was "leaking" and had been "damaged or opened". Upon calling the post office who was supposed to handle the delivery they found it there where the driver had refused to put it in his truck as crickets were escaping. I told the man I could be there in a minute to pick up the remainder but I was told I have to wait till Monday. Now the post office has a damaged/opened box of 1000 small crickets escaping into their office. They will have been sitting there for 3 days by the time they will let me in to get them.

It'll take months for them to stop that chirping!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oy. Poor crickets! Yes, they usually come double boxed in fairly sturdy packaging. They must have been mispackaged or handled roughly.

GizmosGrammie

Hatchling Member
I had the same thing happen w/a particular cricket company. I had ordered a 2000, I received maybe 200. The company I was dealing w/did not double box them, and there was a wire mesh on the outside of the box so they could breath. The mesh had a big hole punctured in it. I think that was the last time I gave them my business, as that was their 3rd strike as far as I was concerned. Every order had been one problem after another.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Lol, I think a lot of reptile owners have had a damaged package. :) My Fedex/ UPS drivers at times have been very resourceful and put a busted box in a trash bag. Even so, at times there is a loss. BTW, I don't think the crickets are ever double boxed in summer, they would die in the heat without the airflow. I've never had them double box in summer, only during cold weather. Order them from a company that uses UPS or Fedex, and if it's really hot out you might need to choose the over night option.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
LOL ..... I'm sure the resident wild lizards (ie skinks and geckos) will very quickly discover that that depot is a great place to visit for a feed of rogue crickets .... once that happens , the crickets wont last long.

The people I buy my insects from (FROG ARCADE based in Melbourne Victoria) put the bugs into round postal tubes , one end has cap made from calico cloth (lets air ventilation happen) and normal plastic cap on the other end.

Only had one bulk cricket delivery where the calico end cap had been damaged enough for some crickets to escape so far in 4 years.

The tubes are marked LIVE INSECTS and are normally delivered about 9am by the parcel post contractor.

Tehachopi

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":2d3rmqu5 said:
LOL ..... I'm sure the resident wild lizards (ie skinks and geckos) will very quickly discover that that depot is a great place to visit for a feed of rogue crickets .... once that happens , the crickets wont last long.

The people I buy my insects from (FROG ARCADE based in Melbourne Victoria) put the bugs into round postal tubes , one end has cap made from calico cloth (lets air ventilation happen) and normal plastic cap on the other end.

Only had one bulk cricket delivery where the calico end cap had been damaged enough for some crickets to escape so far in 4 years.

The tubes are marked LIVE INSECTS and are normally delivered about 9am by the parcel post contractor.

Our local lizards probably loved the escapees. Given that we get a very cold winter I'm not sure we have many wild lizards where I am. Never really gave it that much thought though. Sadly I've seen lizards people just released outside here before. Seriously the manager of the Taco Bell in front of my work found a baby iguana in his engine trying to keep warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom