Hissers, hissers, hisssserss!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pixall

Sub-Adult Member
I figured if anyone would get as excited as I am, it would be you guys here! I found a local shop with Gromphadorhina portentosa pairs for 10$. Not having been in the shop looking for them, naturally I had to buy some anyway. I am now the *very* proud owner of four lovely little Madagascar Hissers!

These cats are very cool. The males have "horns" and headbutt for territory and rights to the ladies. I'm setting this thread here so I have somewhere to post notes on keeping them as breeders/feeders/pets. If anybody has any tips, I am all ears. I've had dubia for years but could never find hissers(until now! :blob5: :blob8: ) .

I have them snug and cozy in a 2.5 gal glass tank w/ screen lid and Vaseline smear around the lid(these guys effortlessly climb glass). Feed is chicken layer crumbles(17% protein, I feed this stuff to my duck, mealworm colonies, and dubia colonies), and I gave them a small handful of alfalfa hay. Water is being offered off a paper towel in a shallow dish, and substrate is aspen shavings. They also have a hide and half the tank is on a heat pad set to low.

I just fed out the last of my oranges to my dubia the other day so it looks like I'll be hitting the grocery store sometime soon.

EDIT: Well they definitely like the alfalfa. Adorable little critters are heads down, butts up in the alfalfa pile munch, munch, munching away. :3 :love5: :love5:

Should I be concerned by how cute I find them? :laughing6: Oh well, I caught the bug bug long ago. Don't tell him, but Stan may just be an excuse to keep the buggies around. :p

Kessed

Hatchling Member
Nice.

They have some at the local museum in the kid bug area. I love watching them. They get BIG!

Pixall

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Yeah they do! Mine are small for hissers still, they are "only" the size of adult dubia. :roll: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom