Newbie to Dubias

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I attended the Cincity reptile show and had a great time, came home with a new crestie baby but also brought home Holly 10 dubias. So far I've got to say, I like them waay more than crickets. No smell no muss no fuss. However, I've just given Holly the last of her crickets and I really don't want to buy more. The problem is, I want to breed my roaches and get a good sized colony going and I can't pull that off if Holly is eating them all. I'm considering purchasing more from LLL reptile and well, I know next to nothing about Dubias. I only know the basics. I've been eyeing the bee pollen for a while now and I'm wondering what purpose exactly does it serve? Is cricket food fine to give to my roaches? It hasn't seem like they've touched it but so far they look to be just fine. One of my females has also recently given birth.

Long story short, I need some tips on how to make this a successful colony (and well, one large enough to feed chubby wittle Holly hehe)

Thanks!

SukiLove

Juvie Member
You are probably going to be better off ordering a starter colony or just ordering the amount you are feeding to Holly until yours can establish itself, which is around 3 months or so. I've had mine since the beginning of June and I have no plans to pull feeders from it until September. I keep mine is a 30 gallon rubbermaid tote with an UTH on one side with egg cartons stacked for space to walk on, and I cut out a portion of the lid and added a screen for airflow. I feed them left over scraps from what my beardies do not finish as well as keeping an orange slice in there for hydration. The roaches do not seem too keen on greens, but they really seem to like the softer vegetables like squash a lot. I take out all the old scraps within a day so they don't mold and my roaches seem to be happy with just that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom