Got my daughter a bd and having trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

TxDragon

Getting him to eat. Got him Thursday but has yet to eat a cricket. Popped Friday. I'm guessing from food he ate at store. Then popped again this morning. Having put a mixture of food in dish but haven't seen him eat anything. Just bought mealworms and he ate 3 immediately. Then read they may be bad for bearded dragons. Also bought some young dragon food and have left that in cage. Not sure where to go from here.

heaterengineer

Give them a few days to a couple of weeks. The stress of the move and new habitat will keep them from eating.

Also, you are correct I would not feed them meal worms.

Pixi

Don't ever feed them mealworms! Even older ones have trouble digesting them. Mine will only eat moving things, with the exception of greens, so use crickets. Crickets are pretty much their staple food. When they get bigger (adulthood to be safe) you can throw in roaches or supers, but use the supers sparingly. Lay off the pelet food. I keep some in case there's no crickets (in winter she had to go a week without them because every pet store was getting dead shipments) and she'll eat them if she's hungry enough. She really likes the National Geographic ones since they roll.

Kessed

Hatchling Member
You will hear alot of mixed information about meal worms. Some people have fed them for years with zero issues and other people claim they are effectively a death sentence. I know breeders who have fed them and never had a problem.

Give him some more time to adjust before becoming concerned. My dragon took a solid two weeks before she started to be comfortable with us and being fed. Remember that they are a "bigger eats smaller" kind of critter. So offering her food seemed to scare her at first because she thought we were going to eat it and maybe her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom