Cricket keeping

Status
Not open for further replies.

grkmikey

im getting a bearded dragon soon and i want to buy like 500 crickets in bulk to avoid going to the petstore every week. i was wondering what rubbermaid container is the best for small crickets. is 15 gallon enough so they dont jump out? can they climb out of that material? any advice would be helpful, thanks!

Kmarks

A 15 gallon container is plenty of room for 500. Make sure you have cardboard tubes and egg crates for them to hide on.

Try to get the clear tubs if you can. The sides are smoother and they can't climb out. If you cant, use clear packaging tape and tape a ring on the upper portion of the tubs. They can not climb on the tape.

grkmikey

Original Poster
Kmarks":1ctgikc0 said:
A 15 gallon container is plenty of room for 500. Make sure you have cardboard tubes and egg crates for them to hide on.

Try to get the clear tubs if you can. The sides are smoother and they can't climb out. If you cant, use clear packaging tape and tape a ring on the upper portion of the tubs. They can not climb on the tape.

thanks man, how tall does it have to be so the crickets dont jump out when i open it? im getting small crickets, thanks

SukiLove

Juvie Member
Just in my experience with crickets, they can jump pretty high if they have something solid to push off of. I've had some jump over a foot! My biggest issue with the jumping was in-transfer i.e.: moving them from the bin to tank, or where ever you feed them from. They would jump off the tubes, or crawl up my arm and jump from there while moving them. :lol:

Hope that helps a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carsed
Top Bottom