Freezing Black soldier fly larvae

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treysbeardie

I just started raising bsfl for my bearded dragon and im harvesting more than anticipated and more than rex can eat. My question is can i freeze some for use later. Any thoughts I'm still new to this. Thanks.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I suspect they will turn to mush...

What sort of setup are you using? I Want to culture them myself someday.

Treysbeardie

Original Poster
0b9cf242c8e2aa1f88a18bca3e9d4a5b.jpg
its like this one. I just put fruit,vegetables, and coffee grounds in it.

Treysbeardie

Original Poster
I guess I'll try freezing a tub of them for a month or so and see how they thaw. I don't think rex will mind that they aren't alive i just wondered about loos of nutrients.

GizmosGrammie

Hatchling Member
I have absolutely no experience with your topic, but maybe putting the Black soldier fly larvae (these are the same as Phoenix worms, correct???) on wax paper, spread out so they aren't piled up on each other & repeat layering them on wax paper may prevent them from becoming a frozen together mess. Just an idea, have no idea if it will work but it would allow you to remove how ever many you want each time without having to thaw them all to unstick them.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Thawing tends to be the problem point for nutrient loss and for mushyness. Let us know how it goes!

If it doesn't work out could feed them to birds :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom