Bearded Dragon stopped eating Dubias

Status
Not open for further replies.

enragingchaos

Hello beardie owners!

My Zeus has stopped eating his dubias like he used to and isn't even a year old, yet. (9 months)

I switched the dubias from a cat food, fish flake and calci dust diet to chick starter feed and while they roaches seem to like it a lot more than the other mix I'm now wondering if that has caused them to taste bad/different to him and now he doesn't readily eat them.

I can offer him a dubia and he won't eat it, but then offer a hornworm or a superworm and he gobbles it right up! He eats greens without any issues but just slowed down on the dubias. He WILL eat dubias everyday or every other day but not very many at a time.

For those bearded dragon owners that have a dubia colony, what are you feeding the feeders? I'm wanting to try a few things and see if I can't make them taste better or be more appealing to him!

My setup:
40 gallon
75 watt basking bulb
ReptiSun 10.0 TUBE - 7-8 inches away from basking spot. (mounted inside the tank)
Flourescent tube (12 inches?) on cool side to emit more light into the tank

Thanks!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
A change in gutload could definitely give them a different taste. I've also seen dragons just get picky about a certain food for a while. That tends to come in phases so I just offer something else for a while then come back to the original feeder (roaches in this case). I only feed my colony scrap veges and orange slices and they do pretty well. They dig into greens to an extent. They really seem to love chopped up squash so that's a staple for them. They also dig into the orange slices but I give them just on occasion for some extra hydration. I've also rotated in green beans and other veges as I have them in the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom