Alfalfa pellets for dubia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SukiLove

Juvie Member
So I've read in a few different threads that some of you use soaked alfalfa pellets for your colonies. I didn't want to resurrect an old thread so I figured I would start a new one.

Does this work well as both a nutritional and water base for the roaches? I still plan on feeding fresh scraps daily but I wanted a staple I could leave in for longer, right now I am replacing fresh food in the am and pm so it doesn't get funky. I almost feel like I need to give them more. I find that the orange slices stay fresh the longest, but the softer squashes get questionable really quick. Orange slices on their own aren't enough, and they only seem to like to hide in the leaves of the greens. Any other suggestions you may have I would love to hear!

Luckily I know a lot of people with farm animals so I can just buy the 50 lb bags, take what I need and give the rest away.

Thanks!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I use the pellets dry and offer something with moisture with them. I've had problems with moisture so I try to keep water and wet things minimal and only what gets eaten quickly. When feeding I try to offer portions the colony will eat in a day or so. If they have have had a big meal of something they like (like squash or fruit) they seem more likely to be hessitant to eat greens.

I find apples and water squash are popular but don't last too long.

SukiLove

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you, so I guess I will be alright with the dry pellets and keep offering the fruit slices for a water source. I was not sure if I was offering enough for them. I got a small starter colony, only 5m, 15f and around 250 mixed. But I have around 100 that managed to get too big for Nero and Soleil so I'm going to add them to the colony too.

My hope is to have it running smoothly by winter, and for now just ordering the appropriate sizes for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom