not interested in crickets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brae99

hey guys, so puff (my new beardie) isnt really interested in eating crickets anymore.. when i first got him he ate lots of them but i think it had more to do with him lacking calcium from his last owner not taking care of him properly. he loves meal worms and veggies but i heard its not good to have many meal worms? is that true? Also on another hand puff is doing much better! i took him out side yesterday on our deck and he loved it! he was running around , which ive never seen him do because of his condition. so that made me happy! :) hes been moving his legs alot more and has been standing up alot! ill post pictures soon! :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's great that he's moving around and standing now! It's not uncommon for them to get bored with one food for a while. It's good to provide variety. I'd try some other worms for now and see if he likes them. Phoenix Worms and silk worms are good choices. Try alternating with them and occasionally try re-introducing the crickets and see how he reacts.

Redleg

My experience with Beardies is that if you feed them crickets more or less every day, after about a year they suddenly start refusing crickets altogether. With both of my Beardies it was like a switch being thrown. One day eating crickets, then suddenly no more crickets no way no how.

With my next Beardie I am going to try varying the insect diet by including silkworms from the very beginning so the he/she does not get tired of crickets so soon. Comments on this plan are welcome.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
A varied diet is a good idea. I often recommend adding variety to both the bug offerings and the salad items.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom