Dubia giving birth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juce23

So I was replacing the food and water crystals and I usually check the crates to see how things are.. One of my females has a reddish orange tubular thing protruding from what looks like her .. Uhh .. Bum.. Is she ready to have babies? Do I need to do anything or just let her be.. I am gonna leave her go until morning and see what happened..

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I haven't witnessed this, but I do just let my dubia do their thing and they're fine. I see lots of little guys running all over the food so they're definitely giving birth to some extent. The good thing about them is that they don't require too much interaction aside from providing fresh food regularly.

Juce23

Original Poster
Yeah. I change there food every evening.. It gets dried out during the day so I put fresh stuff in every night.. And a lot of different kinds of veggies and fruit.. I have so many scraps left over after I make my beardie salad.. They don't seem to go for the greens as much as they go for other vegtables.. Squash and carrots they seem to be all over.. Not so much the turnip greens And collard greens

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've found the same thing. They'll kind of tolerate the dark green scraps but go nuts over the squash bits and the orange slices. They're pretty good at composting most of the scraps for me though. It's a pretty nice system =)

Gail

BD.org Addict
The red thing is the egg sack. After it come out of the body, it will retract back inside to incubate.

Gail

BD.org Addict
I think it should only be hours, maybe a day at the longest but I'm not positive. If it stays out too long, the eggs will die.

Juce23

Original Poster
Hmmm.. It's been out for almost a week.. Unless it was a different roach.. Guess I'll find out soon enough..

Juce23

Original Poster
None of my females have an egg sack anymore and I don't see it anywhere in there.. So I have no idea.. If she pulled it back in, how long does it usually take to see babies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom