Roaches breeding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juce23

So my colony is almost two weeks old.. Has 5 adult pairs and 3 extra makes.. Plus 25 small and 25 medium roaches.. Only lost one that I saw.. How long does it usually take for them to start breeding? And is there any way to tell if the females are gravid? They are in a 10 gallon tote with a heating pad on one side, and a CHE above.. Temps on the housing side(with crates) is reading in the 90's.. The cooler side where I place the food is reading between 78-84.. I give them fresh scraps every day.. Turnip greens, kale, and squash... A slice of orange, and sometimes I throw an aple core in there.. Also roach chow I got from Dubia Roaches.. Plus fresh water crystals every day.. That sound right?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That sounds good. You may not need the water crystals with the fresh veges and the oranges but it shouldn't hurt because the CHE can really dry out the air. You may want to cover the cool side to help trap some of the moisture because they're tropical bugs and like their humidity to an extent. A small colonly like that will take some time to start populating. It takes a few months for them to go through a generation based on what I've seen. I don't know how to tell if the females are gravid so I'm sorry I can't help there. It may help to add some more bugs to the mix though. Maybe pick up a mix pack of roaches from one of the suppliers and add them to the mix. I started with about 500 total and was in business about 5 months later without feeding any off. I've heard recommendations of 2000 to start but it all depends on if you're feeding them off and how many you need and the timeframe.

Juce23

Original Poster
I will probably add some more for sure.. I knew it would take a few months.. That CHE dries everything out.. I may try covering up the cool side as you suggested .. I haven't lost any yet and a few have gone through a molting so it seems as though it's doing okay.. of my females has an egg sac( forget what it's called) sticking out of her backside.. Been there for two days now.. Do you know how long before she pulls it back in and actually gives birth?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
As long as you haven't seen die offs that's a good sign. As for the births, I'm really not sure. I haven't seen any births. Most of them hide in the stacks of cardboard. There are a bunch of little ones running around my tank though so they're definitely reproducing. I just haven't watched closely enough to see the process. I just try to give them a decent environment and plenty of food and let them do their thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom