Can I see your dubia breeding set up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my dubia breeder kit today, and I'm just not sure how to safely heat them in a plastic bin without setting my house on fire.

I'd love to see your set up(s) so that I can make this a successful investment!

Thank you!

Maggie
Proud Owner of Captain Happy Sparklepants

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
With a plastic bin you may want to use a heat band or a ceramic heat emitter mounted overhead (although these can increase dryness in the enclosure). In general you want something that you can control the temperature of easily and something that doesn't get too hot by design (shouldn't be much more than warm to the touch). You will also want to raise the bin up an inch or two if you're heating from below to allow for ventilation. My tank gets into the 90s at the bottom with lower temps in a gradient away from the warm side and up from the mat. I use a glass tank and it sits on a bakers rack for ventilation. I've had a ZooMed heat mat running under it for 8 months or so now and it works well. Here's a (old) photo of it for reference.

76248-1790200137.jpg

TakenByStorm

Original Poster
Thanks, I have mine set up in a glass tank with egg crates that span to the top of the tank. I'm planning on replacing that with paper towel and toilet paper rolls over time for my own piece of mind. It's sitting on top of a cooling rack with a small zoo med warming pad on the bottom of the egg crate side. But the temps don't seem to go higher than 70. Perhaps the warming pad isn't big enough?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
You might needs a bigger pad. Are you measuring air or surface temps? Pads don't heat up the air very much.
I have a medium size on mine I thinksof it gets 90-100 on the bottom and gradients up through the crates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom