Heating pad question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juce23

I wanted to see what type of hearing pad some of you used for your roach colonies.. I am using an 8 watt zilla UTH... It has been plugged in for about two hours and it's not doing much.. The bottom of the tub, where it's located, is temping at around 100.. But it doesn't seem to be heating anything other then that... PLEASE HELP

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I have the Zoo-Med version of that. I keep the pad under the cardboard and the roaches migrate to it. I just stack cardboard tubes and they are able to get enough heat in them. It keeps the bottom of the tank in the 90s with a gradient which seems to be enough for them to do pretty well. I don't think those mats get much hotter by design as a safety precaution. I have my tank up on a baker's rack to allow ventilation to ensure the bottom doesn't overheat as well.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Juce23":1bupgl8c said:
I wanted to see what type of hearing pad some of you used for your roach colonies.. I am using an 8 watt zilla UTH... It has been plugged in for about two hours and it's not doing much.. The bottom of the tub, where it's located, is temping at around 100.. But it doesn't seem to be heating anything other then that... PLEASE HELP
UTH are conductive heaters - they really only heat up the things they touch. I stack the egg crates vertically so some of the heat transfers up along them and the roaches can cluster with a vertical thermal gradient. I also cover up the warm side to to keep the warm moist air in.

jenn4turtles

Juvie Member
I put my UTH under my roach bin. The bin is just a plastic, gray Rubbermaid tub. I'm not sure of the wattage on the UTH, as someone gave it to me. (He used to have a ball python.) But it is a smaller one; I think it's Zoo Med's small UTH, around 6" x 8". I keep it on the left underside of the bin, where I keep the egg crates. (I put food on the other side.) The UTH is in-between the bin and the floor, so maybe I should put a rack under it like Cooper does. It stays plugged in at all times. I don't have a thermometer inside the tub to actually measure the heat, but they pretty much stay on that side of the tub, and I have ton of babies right now, so it must be working!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom