BD doesn't like dubias?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenn4turtles

Juvie Member
After many struggles and much misery dealing with crickets, I decided to switch to dubia roaches last November for Smauggie. I ordered them, started two bins (one for a colony and one for feeders), and she did eat them, although not as many as she did crickets, but that didn't worry me, because I figured that dubias were more "meaty" than the crickets. (Apparently, I haven't been doing too good at breeding at them, because I should have a ton of them by now, and I don't. I have a UTH, so they should pick up!)

Then she did a semi-brumation starting in mid-December, and her appetite has been off for months.

Finally, she seems back to normal ... Except that she isn't eating very many dubia. Sometimes none per day, sometimes 2 per day. One day she ate 5, and I was ... :D

Last Saturday, I picked her up a Hoppy Meal from the LPS, just to see if she would eat the crickets again. She ate the entire container of crickets, in one sitting. :shock:

I offer her dubia every morning. Today, I put them in the usual clear cup and held the cup so she could see what was in there ... She turned her head away. Clearly did NOT want them.

:?: Has anyone else experienced this? :?:
I really do NOT want to go back to crickets! :puke:

jenn4turtles

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well, my dubias have been moved into one bin for breeding only.

I ordered crickets Monday, received them yesterday, and I have not seen Smauggie so interested in her food in months. She was running all over to catch every last one. In the last 24 hours, she has eaten about 40, and I will offer her more this afternoon.

Maybe she's just tired of dubias for now?

In other news, Smauggie wasn't the only one excited about having crickets again ...

My youngest cat, Saint, keeping watch over a 1,000 new little "friends".

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
She's probably just going through a phase. I'm sorry you have to deal with dreaded crickets again =X. Hopefully not for too long.

Rhaegal

Sounds like my Rhaegal. I've tried dubias as I love them so much more than crickets(can't stand the noise, but I have to keep them in my bedroom) and he didn't mind them for awhile but he seemed to grow bored and don't like them now. To be honest I think it's the way they move he doesn't like. I buy a couple once in a blue moon to give him but he'll typically ignore most.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carsed
Top Bottom