Freeze Dried Crickets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,

I have a quick question about Freeze Dried crickets, can a bearded dragon live off these rather than Live crickets? They're pre-gutloaded freeze dried crickets by Fluker's. My little guy usually loves his crickets and the freeze dried for snacks between actual feedings... I took him to the vet recently for what I think is yellow fungus - and ever since he hasn't touched his live crickets... I've put him in the feeder bin with about 10 (he usually eats 15-20 per sitting) twice a day for last 6 days and he hasn't eaten a ONE... But he's eating the freeze dried ones and seems to love the crunch of them - loves his collard greens, his poops and urates are perfectly fine, actually seems to be going more regular since he's been eating the freeze dried ones....

Any one know if a bearded dragon can survive and be HEALTHY on a diet of non-living insects? I have heard of people that don't like feeding live insects so they feed their reptiles pre-killed ones from a can, or in a container like the freeze dried ones.. Just wanted to get everyones opinion!!! :)

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. I would not feed them as a staple. Maybe a treat. Have you tried different feeders? Mine love hornworms, dubia roaches and Phoenix worms. Silk worms and butter worms are also good.

MiaLexiChilli

Original Poster
destiny1998":rfucodw2 said:
Hi. I would not feed them as a staple. Maybe a treat. Have you tried different feeders? Mine love hornworms, dubia roaches and Phoenix worms. Silk worms and butter worms are also good.

I have, hornworms are very expensive however and they gave him the runs last time he had a few.. Dubias are illegal here apparently lol... Butterworms are too high in fat to use as a staple... I think if I keep offering the live ones and not offer the freeze dried ones, he will eat them eventually.. I would hope lol

Thank you!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Are you in Florida or Canada?

Silkworms are good if you can get them, as are the soldier fly larvae. They can both be a hassle to get though.

My problem so freeze dried insects - is two fold. First, you have no control over what is in them. The companies can claim they are gutloaded and what not, but many of the products they sell as gutloads aren't even good for that. Second, dragons are adapted to get much of their hydration from their food - properly kept live prey being part of that. Freeze dried bugs will have zero moisture content basically, and long term could contribute to dehydration.

How old is he? He may be a bit overwhelmed still from the vet visit. Pepper didn't eat for a couple day or poop even after his check up. Have you tried feeding him in his enclosure instead of a feeding tub incase it's stress related?

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Wax worms are hight in fat not butter worms. I was just suggesting different feeders as beardies need variety and they get tired of eating the same thing. Like I have a roach colony, but still order different feeders once in a while to give variety to their diet.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
destiny1998":a9o0kg5k said:
Wax worms are hight in fat not butter worms. I was just suggesting different feeders as beardies need variety and they get tired of eating the same thing. Like I have a roach colony, but still order different feeders once in a while to give variety to their diet.

Butterworms (29%) and waxworms (24%) both are high in fat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom