Dubia colony for 1 bearded dragon? or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a roughly 8" bearded dragon from his head to the tip of his tail, and noticing his appetite is rather large!!! I've researched dubia colonies figuring it would be a good way to save money but woah...those colonies can get huge fast!!

I don't want a colony to get out of hand and have too many to know what to do with, I just want a steady amount for my dragon until he gets older and goes from 80% protein 20% veggies to 80% veggies 20% protein. Should I just stay with crix? Or should I get a dubia colony going for my 1 bearded dragon? If so how many males and females? 2 males 6 females maybe? I don't want more than I can handle haha

blindside

It takes a long time from what i read to get a big dubia colony. I believe a female can only lay 30 babbies a month and it takes the babies 6 months to mature? I dont have dubia's as they are ilegal in canada but i sure wish I could have a colony.

fluffpuffgerbil

Juvie Member
I wouldn't say you need a colony for 1 bd, even if it is a baby. I have 2 adult beardies and one juvie, along with a leopard gecko and my colony is more than enough for all of them. =) I started my colony in Jan 2013 with maybe 5 males and 10 females and 500 nymphs. I had to buy a few more adults later on, but a year later I had waaaay more than I knew what to do with. Now I've downsized my colony and still have plenty to feed my four.

19nick93

Hatchling Member
DustinEgle, I think starting your own Dubia colony is a great idea, no matter how many Beardies you have. I have 1 baby and I recently started my own colony and they are doing great. I got tired of making trips to the local Petsmart a few times per week. Even the employees knew what amount of crickets I wanted before I asked.. If anything, it will save you lots of trips to the pet store in the future. If you're wanting to start your own colony, I would highly suggest http://www.classyherps.com, $45.00 for a 3:1 ratio. 30 Females and 10 Males. It's probably the best choice you can make for your feeder finances and your Dragon! They are the healthiest staple feeder on the market right now and are very easy to breed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom