UTH wont get tub hot enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielt7

I got a Zoo Med UTH. it's heating the very bottom of the tub at about 81 degrees. I need it to be 90 for my dubia. Any suggestions?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I have the same UTH. My tank doesn't get as high as 90 but it has been OK. I'd put their housing on top of the heater so they can congregate there and then put the food on the "cool side" and see how it goes.

danielt7

Original Poster
Well the bottom is at about 94 degrees. The top however is around 73. I laid a regular heating pad on top. It helps quite a bit. Now to figure out the humidity. There's a mason jar full of water in there, with a lid with holes punched in it. The humidity still hovers between 28-31 ish.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You could try putting a humidifier in the room with the tank. That's something that I haven't worried about too much either but doesn't seem to cause much problem. My basement is very humid in the summer but they've been doing well in the dry conditions through this winter so I haven't taken action on it.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
What are you doing for ventilation?
I have a screen lid find if I drape a cover over the warm side it helps trap enough heat and humidity. They put off a lot of moisture from respiration so if you get your airflow adjust to "just right" you may not need the jar of water.

Insects also thermoregulate and can be adapable even of co toons aren't ideal.

danielt7

Original Poster
I have 4 ventilation holes. One on each side. They're about 4 inch x 2 inch rectangles with screen covering them. I took the water jar out, put some water crystals in. Along with some banana, couple orange slices, and roach chow. Top of the bin is at about 80 degrees, bottom of the bin is at about 98 degrees. Yesterday the humidity was between 39% and 45%. This morning the humidity dropped to 31%. Does this seem pretty close to being ideal? Could they adapt to this? I feel I might screw it up if I mess with it anymore lol

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
danielt7":2jp632s8 said:
I have 4 ventilation holes. One on each side. They're about 4 inch x 2 inch rectangles with screen covering them. I took the water jar out, put some water crystals in. Along with some banana, couple orange slices, and roach chow. Top of the bin is at about 80 degrees, bottom of the bin is at about 98 degrees. Yesterday the humidity was between 39% and 45%. This morning the humidity dropped to 31%. Does this seem pretty close to being ideal? Could they adapt to this? I feel I might screw it up if I mess with it anymore lol

Temps sound fine. For humidry it seems low but you could also just wait and see if you have mounting problems.

danielt7

Original Poster
Why is it that my humidity is low but theyre molting just fine? I decided to mount a ceramic socket on one end centered. Put a 60 watt CHE, and the humidity dropped to like 10%.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
danielt7":xyc9qcad said:
Why is it that my humidity is low but theyre molting just fine? I decided to mount a ceramic socket on one end centered. Put a 60 watt CHE, and the humidity dropped to like 10%.

Ceramic heaters and even light bulbs are notorious for drying out the air. I've not experienced molting problems so I'm not sure what the threshold is or if it more of a long term (dehydration) problem.

danielt7

Original Poster
Well there's water crystals in there, and I just put a jar of water in there. Humidity is at 20%... With the heat pad I could keep the humidity at 40+ but the heat pad got way too hot. The CHE is perfect heat wise. But now the humidity sucks. Havent lost any females. Lost 3 of my 10 males, and about 5 nymphs. I've only had this colony for a week...I worry that if I don't figure this stuff out ASAP, I'm gonna lose em all. geez, I fix one problem, then another one develops. I live in Michigan for crying out loud. The humidity here is always high. Wtf?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom