Landlord needs convincing Dubias aren't going to escape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My landlord is freaking out a bit about me breeding roaches. He is worried they will get out and breed and overtake the building. I assured him they are hot weather roaches and can't live in our upstate NY climate but I think he needs more convincing. Anyone have any advice?

19nick93

Hatchling Member
Hello RedRoseVertigo0, you can try directing him to this website so he can educate him/herself on how safe they are to breed. It mentions at the bottom of the page if some escape, they won't be able to live without the humidity and heat.. http://www.clubfauna.com/articles/invertebrates/breeding-dubia-roaches/

My dad freaked out for a bit when I told him I ordered roaches to breed, until I educated him on them and how much money you can save. Hope this helped!

ParkerandMe

Hatchling Member
My parents nearly cried when I first told them I wanted roaches in the house. However, this is the argument I made and the reason for me now having them in my house.
They cannot breed in any climate that is not very very humid and tropical as well as around 80 degrees, so if they do escape they will likely die within a day or so. The only United States state that has this climate is Florida, where they are illegal for that reason. They cannot climb plastic walls at all and the large wings on adults do not function, so if you're keeping them in a storage bin it won't be a problem. They will die in under 60*F after a few days so again there is n chance of them breeding in your apartment. They are very easy, do not smell and cause a minimal mess.
I hope this works for you, my bd loves dubia and eats them up faster then I can give them to him. However, if this doesn't work you can always look into silkworms, phoenix worms, and crickets. Best of luck!
-Claire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom