New beardie-feeding crickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

pacenme

I have a new beardie who is about 6 inches long. I have been feeding him crickets and just now am realizing that they are hiding out in the crevices of the driftwood. Here I am thinking that he has been eating them all. I must have shook out at least a dozen. He has a belly do I do think he is eating some. I was wondering if I could fill the crevices with some sort of caulk?
Also is he big enough to eat some type of worm? Maybe a small mealworm or superworm. I would like to offer something else other than the crickets.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi instead of melworms which can cause impaction. I'd do Phoenix worms as those have calcium so you don't have to dust and they are soft. Silk, horn and butter worms are all good too.

pacenme

Original Poster
Besides Phoenix worms what other insect can I feed him since he is only about 6-7inches long? I am thinking about getting a small kitchen scale to make sure he is gaining weight.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
The healthier worms tend to be less economical than crickets. Silkworms are worth considering along with the pheonix worms. Many people offer roaches as they are easy to breed and are pretty healthy - dubia are most popular but many other species exist in the pet trade (laterallis, discoid, and green banana come to mind).

It's worth noting that Hornworms grow very fast and butterworms can be quite high in fat.

You can also adjust your feeding practices - such as offering the crickets slowly so you see them get eaten, putting them in a deep dish so they can't get out as easy but the dragon can get them, or a feeding tank of your dragon is willing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom