Dubias are the best why?... also new pet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lake

Hey, i was wondering if anyone with experience breeding dubias could tell me some general info about them like their care and such also some pros and cons. Also, any info to convince a skeptic of their safeness (not escaping and infesting the house) would really be appreciated.

on a side note, if anyone can tell me of a small lizard that does not require uvb, lives in a rainforest environment, and is inexpensive in the long run, i would love to know about it. I'm trying to fill a naturalistic viv. I'm thinking dart frog, crested gecko, or anole (i know, uvb, I have a light but am not keen on buying expensive replacements in the future). The viv is set up as an arboreal viv but still has
some floor space. I custom made it, so its dimensions aren't perfect. I think its about 21 wide 17.5 tall and about ten inches deep. the substrate is at an angle so that adds to the floor space. I can put up a pic soon.

Any info is great,
Thanks!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I love keeping dubias compared to crickets. I have a 20g tank with a mesh top to house them. They live in paper towel rolls on one half of the tank with an under tank heater (it sits on a bakers rack so has plenty of ventilation underneath). The tank is in a basement which is very dark most of the time. I feed them scraps of veggies and they pretty much do the rest on their own. I've had them since late summer and they are thriving. I haven't had any die offs and they are breeding well. They don't make noise or smell. They don't climb the glass sides and are easy to handle. As long as I remember to give them new greens/veggies every day or two they are pretty happy campers. Superworms are very easy to take care of as well. They are in a bed of sawdust looking food in a small tupperware bin and I put some greens on top once in a while so they can pull it down and get the moisture. I change out some of the substrate every few weeks and they also just kind of do their thing. I've had a happy colony of supers since July.

I can't help much on the other question. It sounds like some sort of frog may be your best bet but that's a relatively uneducated guess.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
That's a small size, I'd go for very small lizards or frogs for sure.

Nocturnal species tend to be the only ones suitable for no uvb. There is interesting discysons now though about even offering uvb as part of a day/night cycle for animals who don't need it but may benefit (emotionally, visually) from it.

Was recently looking into mourning geckos or house geckos as a couple prospective species to keep in a smaller planted enclosure. They aren't too fancy looking and mourning geckos are communal, but both are small enough to escape thru small cracks if you cage isn't well shut up. Neither are really handle-able.

We have an arboreal tarantula that is interesting too, she is very low maintenance.

Lake

Original Poster
thanks both, I'm sealing up the cracks as well as i can. i have a few green tree frogs i might put in there from another tank. dart frogs might work but the fruit flies might escape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom