Hornworm food?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeardedGs

Just wondering what I should be putting in the container with the hornworms to munch on?

I only buy a 6-10 at a time and feed them over a few days as a treat with crickets and I don't want them starving in there!

Thanks!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Are you set on making your own? A lot of times the online shops that sell hornworms also sell mix for making the chow which is pretty easy. They also have pre-prepared cups which are ready to go.

BeardedGs

Original Poster
no - Im not making my own, but I would if I could find an easy receipe.
the pet store that I buy them from doesn't have hornworm food

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm not sure of a recipe so I'd have to do some research and get back to you. If you're able to order online, you may want to check places like great lakes hornworm or mulberry farms as I'm pretty sure they have both the mix and the pre-prepared stuff available.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Yeah, I'd just get the powder (I've read they eat silkworm food too?) and mix it up. I find when I put it into piping bags (at least for the silks) it lasts quite a long time in the fridge.

BeardedGs

Original Poster
Thanks - I'll check out the online stores.
Just after taking a look real quick it looks like there are a couple of places that I can get chow from - The Worm Lady and Great Lakes Hornworms.
My beardie - Jeffrey - loves hornworms but they are so expensive!! - Do guys buy them in bulk? If so - how is it working out?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I've only gotten hornworms once, I didn't like the stink of them and they grew too fast. I might get more come summer when peppers appetite is back.

I do raise silkworms and just buy food in bulk, I hatch a few dozen caterpillars at a time. You can buy hornworms eggs too but I'm not sure how much work they are and they are much more work to breed.

BeardedGs

Original Poster
Can the hornworms eat apple's or yams? The pet store said I could put a chunk of apple in the bottom for them...

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
You can try. Not sure how well they will do on it or if they will eat it at all but it probably won't hurt them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom