Feeding a beardie pinkies and anoles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw a video on YouTube of beardies eating anoles and pinkie mice. Are these safe feeders? I also saw a video of a beardie eating a wolf spider. Seems risky. Thoughts?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't recommend feeding any of those to a dragon. I've seen them being fed fish as well which I also don't recommend. I suggest sticking to crickets, roaches, or worms from a reputable source in order to minimize risk for parasitic infections. Adult dragons should be eating a diet of about 80% veges and salads so the bugs make up a small portion of their diet anyway.

Ofthelime

Hatchling Member
Of the things listed the only one they should ever eat is pinkies. Even with pinkies I wouldn't advise it. Typically you would only feed them if the lizard was malnourished (like in rescue situations). Just go with what cooperdragon said.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
I would not feed any of those to my dragons. Ever. In a rescue situation, a pinkie would be way too much to digest. There are much better ways to get a rescue dragon back on track.

RedRoseVertigo0

Original Poster
Just to clarify I wasn't thinking of feeding any of these to my dragon. I was just surprised to see the videos since the food items seem so unsafe. There is also a video of dragons eating a scorpion that was posted by a breeder. Horribly unsafe!

Ofthelime

Hatchling Member
I noticed that a lot of those videos are of peoples outdoor dragons in Australia. I personally don't understand why people would keep them outside in a way that weird stuff can get into their enclosure. However I am told dragons do have a very small amount of poison to be able to eat things like scorpions and centipedes in nature.

premammalian

Hatchling Member
They can eat small vertebrates fine, as they do in nature. Although I would never feed any vertebrate mainly for potential parasite prevention and animal welfare reasons, especially if it is alive. In youtube you can find nearly anything, I saw once a video where a bearded dragon ate a small garter snnake. In other instance his owner gave it a centipede and a wild rat. Many such people seem to value the shock factor above their animal's health and well being.
Bearded dragons retain venom glands from their ancestors, but there has been no documented evidence that they kill with poison. They are mainly crushers and chewers like tuataras. The truth is that in most videos they are fed scorpions, the tip of the stinger was cut off. Sometimes they are given spiders but it isn't always dangerous. A gui in Australia gave his own a funnel web, which strangely happens to have serious even deadly toxicity for humans and other primates, but much less or non for other mammals and reptiles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom