Using a fish tank heater to breed crickets!??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wandering if you guys had ever done this before ? I have a couple of spare fish tank heaters (from old tank I used to have) and I was wandering if you guys think they could heat up a plastic container for cricket breeding? Can a fish tank heater even warm up air !?

I know it sounds a bit weird but just wanted to know, if it can save me from having to get another CHE (already have one for locusts) then that would be great :D

Btw I'm in NZ and daytime temp are around 25 degrees C, night time don't think it goes below 20 but in the morning it's a bit chilly. :/ If I placed the crickets near the locusts (outside with a CHE at 30 degrees C) would they be able to get a little heat from them? The locusts are in a large wooden brooder used for baby chickens a while back...

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Typical fish tank heaters won't heat the air and some can actually overheat or be quite damaged by being turned on out of water.

daddyburgi

Extreme Poster
Many meany years ago when I had some frogs that I feed crickets too I was looking into breeding them. I could be wrong but I think I remember seeing people put a tank heater in a container of water to heat the encloser. Such as if the heater was small enough you could put it in an old mayonnaise container filled with water. Of course if your heater is too big you will have to go with a bigger container. If I remember correctly this is to heat them and also add some humidity. But this was 20+ years ago so I may be remembering things a little wrong.

daddyburgi

Extreme Poster
Many meany years ago when I had some frogs that I feed crickets too I was looking into breeding them. I could be wrong but I think I remember seeing people put a tank heater in a container of water to heat the encloser. Such as if the heater was small enough you could put it in an old mayonnaise container filled with water. Of course if your heater is too big you will have to go with a bigger container. If I remember correctly this is to heat them and also add some humidity. But this was 20+ years ago so I may be remembering things a little wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom