Dubia Roaches in house

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I finally talked my hubby in to allowing me to bring the Dubia Roaches in the house to breed. He just talked to his friend at work that is a snake owner / collector and counselled him not to get into the Dubias because if they get loose in your house they will multiply like crazy. Is this true? Has anyone ever had this problem? He is now changing his mind :( I do have children so my biggest concern is them opening the roaches and allowing some to escape :/

They will multiply like crazy if your house is in FL which is why they are illegal. But at 70 degrees it's not likely. You should put the roaches out of reach of the children. The more the breeding colony is disturb it can interrupt them. Just make sure you have a tight lid. They sell jellys to put around the top or you can use packing tape to prevent escape.

mushuandcricket

Original Poster
Thank you! I plan on keeping them in the cool basement with a heater on the roaches on a high shelf. I always like to think of the worst. I am in the north east in PA so it cool most of the year but our summers are hot & humid which was my husband's concern. I have been searching away and have not come across any problems with them getting loose and multiplying. Now to convince him as I would rather do roaches than crickets.

Yeah. they aren't going to breed in PA. You're good. Crickets are so gross. And you constantly have to change there egg cartons. There are so many pros and cons of the two online that would work in your favor. My breeding roaches just came in the mail today. I reorganized my bin and made my feeder bin last night in prep for the shipment. :)

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I'm not sure if they would breed but thay can live even in a basement. I've had a few free ranging roaches show up in the basement now and then, no obvious litters or anything. They most likely got out when I was cleaning the bin, but they didn't look as near the verge of death that I expected them too. A secure bin and careful manipulation when cleaning/sorting should limit any potential problem a lot.

zippo

Hi, I just bought about 100 medium dubia roaches and will be trying to grow them as well. It cost me a bit but I hope my baby beardie's can reap the rewards as crickets are stinky and they die a lot. Not to mention, I've spent over $60 for the 1/4 to 1/2 inch crickets just for this month. I live in Maryland and I too am afraid of getting them loose in the house since they will eat just about anything. My baby beardie's love these dubia roaches. However, upon cleaning one day, I noticed a couple were on the underside of my paper towels and I freaked out as I was about to trash it. So, what I do now is to put the trashed paper towels in hot water and dunk it in the toilet. Hopefully, when I need to separate the colonie, I could use my bathroom bath tub to make sure there is no escapies!!

jenn4turtles

Juvie Member
I use weather-strip around the rim of the bin, just to be safe. Don't want any jail-breaks!

I accidentally left the lid off of the dubia bin one night. It was completely my mistake. I use egg crates in there, so they can climb the crates and get to the rim of the bin. For the record, a few did escape. The ones I saw were males; some were dead, and some were not. Whether the dead ones died on their own, or because my cats went hunting for them, I'm not sure. This was several weeks ago, and I haven't found any more of them, dead or alive, so I'm hoping for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom