Dubia "smell" and allergies. Health concerns?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skipeople

Hey folks!

So, I used to have two fairly small bins for my roaches (breeders and feeders), but I started to have mold issues in one bin from excess moisture (not enough ventilation). I transferred them all to a 64 qt tub and of course, they have that earthy frass smell. I'm in a small apartment, so the tub is in my tiny room now. I can smell the frass in my room (especially with the heating pad on) and I'm worried it won't go away. I never had issues before because it could stay in the cabinet stand, but now I will smell it all the time.

I have allergies and my sinuses always give me trouble when working with the roaches. I am stuffed up from the transfer and I'm worrying about health concerns from the frass smell and wondering if the frass itself wonders into the air. Has anyone else had issues with the smell and allergies? Isn't it bad for your lungs? Help? :(

They have new cardboard except one flat that was still pretty fresh. A minimal amount of frass got in the new tub, but I can still smell it. I'm thinking the roaches smell like it from the small tubs? IDK.

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
I have a huge 50 gallon bin colony which I used to keep in my reptile room but have since moved them into a spare bedroom. I too can smell them faintly if im in the room but they don't smell up the house. Do you have enough ventilation in there? Could it be mold you are smelling? Unless you are stirring up the frass, you shouldn't really have a strong smell to them, at least not enough to smell up an apt or house.

And I too sneeze and get a runny nose when I do the bin cleaning but I only do a bin cleaning every 6 months or so so the frass builds up. My advice is do the cleaning outside. Pick up the egg crates with as many roaches on em as you can keep and put them in another bin, then drag whats left outside and do your sifting/cleaning out there so you don't have a house full of frass dust going everywhere. I'm sure its not the best for your lungs but like I said, unless you are stirring the frass in the bin, there really shouldn't be much dust from just the roaches "living". The bin cleaning though will stir up a ton of dust thus why I would definitely do that outside or a ventilated garage.

skipeople

Original Poster
Well, I don't have mold now because I transferred them. There is good ventilation for this bin and hardly any frass yet. I came home late last night from work and thought I could still smell a faint earthy scent in my room, but I was thinking about it when I opened my door, so I'm not sure if it's actually there now or if I'm just imagining it. This morning, I didn't smell it at all, but it may be a "nose-blind" thing. I'm thinking now that everything has settled, it isn't there anymore though. I was just being paranoid about my lungs filling with roach dust!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom