Hornworm loose in my apartment... what will happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slingergurl

So I woke up this morning to find one less hornworm in my container, I had them sealed with a plastic bag with a small air hole... which is where I assume he escaped from.

I've searched my whole apartment, but now its time to go to work. What will most likely happen to this worm? He wont turn into a moth will he? Any suggestions to areas they may be attacted to?

I really hope he didnt crawl into my bed or something. Eeeek!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
How big was it?

If it was small (which it sounds like) it will probably just die somewhere, since it won't have food or water. You might find it, but maybe not. You could leave some chow out and see if it comes back for it.

If it was full size it might be off looking for a place to pupate, saturnid caterpillars have a wandering phase after their final molt where they stop eating and go off insearch of a safe place to burrow away. I'm not sure if they would successfully morph just around the house (it might pupate then dry out and die) but the moths only emerge in the spring.

I rear silkworms which also have a wandering phase. Some get out but they usually don't make it very far before finding a place to weave their cocoon. Smaller silkworms who wander of die from lack of food/water.

slingergurl

Original Poster
Thanks for the info! It was a pretty large one, the pet store had a good selection this week (of course the one time I lose one). I've searched my tiny apartment high and low, and cant find any trace of it. I know they can climb pretty well and that's what is freaking me out the most. Tonight I will set out a some food and hope that it comes to it. Pupated worms scare me more than worms themselves, so I really really hope it doesn't! :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom