Feeding Dubias Enfamil Baby Formula Powder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have three cans of unopened Enfamil powdered formula that I was wondering if I could mix into the roach chow for my Dubias. After I run out of the chow that came with the colony kit I plan to use oats, chicken feed, and hopefully the baby formula to make my own.

Anyone have any ideas on using the formula?

I don't know how that would go. I don't know the ingredients. I have read a good thought process for what to feed your BD feeders. 'Would you feed it to your dragon?'

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
NatashaFatality":n1vx2apr said:
I have read a good thought process for what to feed your BD feeders. 'Would you feed it to your dragon?'
Yep!
I've read of folk who use all sorts of mixes, grind up pet food, chicken mash and ad powdered milk and cereals, and based on my reading it's not really necessary or maybe even meaningful. My colony has been thriving on fruits and veggies for a while now - it's easy and cheap. They like sweeter things best (apples, squash, oranges) but eat most things of they are hungry enough. I did feed chicken mash for a while, I couldn't say I can tell a difference other than I grew a heathy grain mite colony in my chicken feed too.

Taterbug":1k38zi82 said:
NatashaFatality":1k38zi82 said:
I have read a good thought process for what to feed your BD feeders. 'Would you feed it to your dragon?'
Yep!
I've read of folk who use all sorts of mixes, grind up pet food, chicken mash and ad powdered milk and cereals, and based on my reading it's not really necessary or maybe even meaningful. My colony has been thriving on fruits and veggies for a while now - it's easy and cheap. They like sweeter things best (apples, squash, oranges) but eat most things of they are hungry enough. I did feed chicken mash for a while, I couldn't say I can tell a difference other than I grew a heathy grain mite colony in my chicken feed too.

Do you do any dry food? When I went to the expo I got a basic dry food mix. They told me there was no cat or dog food. After it is done I would like to make my own.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
When I am out of veggies I have a bag of alfalfa pellets. I'll mix up water crystals for hydration when I use the pellets. They are just a back up though.

LadyTheLizard

Original Poster
NatashaFatality":2yss8x06 said:
I don't know how that would go. I don't know the ingredients. I have read a good thought process for what to feed your BD feeders. 'Would you feed it to your dragon?'

Here's the list of ingredients,
Nonfat Milk, Lactose, Vegetable Oil (Palm Olein, Coconut, Soy and High Oleic Sunflower Oils), Whey Protein Concentrate, Galactooligosaccharides (A Type of Prebiotic), Polydextrose (A Type of Prebiotic), and Less Than 1%: Mortierella Alpina Oil (A Source of Arachidonic Acid [ARA]), Crypthecodinium Cohnii Oil (A Source of Docosahexaenoic Acid [DHA]), Soy Lecithin, Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin D3, Vitamin E Acetate, Vitamin K1, Thiamin Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Vitamin B6 Hydrochloride, Vitamin B12, Niacinamide, Folic Acid, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Ascorbic Acid, Inositol, Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Phosphate, Magnesium Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Cupric Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Chloride, Nucleotides (Cytidine 5'-Monophosphate, Disodium Guanosine 5'-Monophosphate), Taurine, L-Carnitine.

I really don't see a reason why I shouldn't use it, but I also don't want to harm the my dragon. I've done more research and I plan to use a mix of oats and alfalfa pellets for the chow, but I was also hoping to mix the formula with it since it has protein and vitamins.

LadyTheLizard

Original Poster
Taterbug":38l9cgx9 said:
When I am out of veggies I have a bag of alfalfa pellets. I'll mix up water crystals for hydration when I use the pellets. They are just a back up though.

I've tried using the greens that I feed my dragon, but the roaches won't touch it.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Calcium isn't so good for most insects so they tend to avoid it. Mine won't eat collard greens and are hesitant to dig into other dark greens. They will eat a squash to the skin pretty quick though.

I do not think the formula would be harmful, but more just not needed. I'll feed some things off to my roaches on occasion that I wouldn't buy on a regular basis for them and it isually doesn't cause trouble.

LadyTheLizard

Original Poster
Taterbug":3d7whd0p said:
Calcium isn't so good for most insects so they tend to avoid it. Mine won't eat collard greens and are hesitant to dig into other dark greens. They will eat a squash to the skin pretty quick though.

I do not think the formula would be harmful, but more just not needed. I'll feed some things off to my roaches on occasion that I wouldn't buy on a regular basis for them and it isually doesn't cause trouble.

Thank you so much, I'm going to donate the formula and stick to an oats and alfalfa chow. What other fruits and veggies are good for the dubias? I tried tangerines twice and they didnt touch them!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Strange, they usualy like oranges and tangerines are similar. Did you cut it open?

They are pretty opportunistic, in the wild they live under the leaf litter at the forest floor eating what they find. Pretty much anything on the dragon feeding charts is safe, though somethings they just don't like to eat.

Based on how fast/thoroughly they eat it they have best liked: winter squash (fresh or cooked), summer squash, apples, pineapple, cucumber, melons, peppers, grapefruit, plums, peaches...that I can think of. I'll give them veggie scraps from cooking or fruit cores (I save them a bowl in the fridge) and leftover salad fixings. They won't devour greens the same way for sure, but small portions do get eaten so I'll put it in over the course of the week. When I get squash I cut the seed end off and give it the bugs and use the solid end for the dragon.

LadyTheLizard

Original Poster
Taterbug":35cp1n5j said:
Strange, they usualy like oranges and tangerines are similar. Did you cut it open?

They are pretty opportunistic, in the wild they live under the leaf litter at the forest floor eating what they find. Pretty much anything on the dragon feeding charts is safe, though somethings they just don't like to eat.

Based on how fast/thoroughly they eat it they have best liked: winter squash (fresh or cooked), summer squash, apples, pineapple, cucumber, melons, peppers, grapefruit, plums, peaches...that I can think of. I'll give them veggie scraps from cooking or fruit cores (I save them a bowl in the fridge) and leftover salad fixings. They won't devour greens the same way for sure, but small portions do get eaten so I'll put it in over the course of the week. When I get squash I cut the seed end off and give it the bugs and use the solid end for the dragon.

I read that they love oranges and other citrus, I only had the tangerine on hand, and yes I cut it up into cubes. I'm going to try orange as soon as I get some. I've never tried squash for my dragon, she loves apples and bananas though, I will also try those in the Roach Motel next time I give them to my dragon. Do you think green bell pepper would be safe for my beardie, that's something I always have on hand, I will start giving the roaches the scraps.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Bell pepper is fine to offer, some like the red/orange varieties better because of the bright color. I save the cores and bits I don't use, or give them stuff that's gone a little too off for us to eat.

If you havnt looked at it before, beautifuldragons.com has a list of what you can offer and how often.

LadyTheLizard

Original Poster
Taterbug":3s2igzme said:
Bell pepper is fine to offer, some like the red/orange varieties better because of the bright color. I save the cores and bits I don't use, or give them stuff that's gone a little too off for us to eat.

If you havnt looked at it before, beautifuldragons.com has a list of what you can offer and how often.

Thanks so much!! Everyone on here is so nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom