What to feed Dubia Roaches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion

So I had a colony of 350, and yesterday I added 1,520 more. What do I feed these little guys. Been doing Cat food(not grinded up), and carrots, potatos, and water crystals of course.

I mist them twice per day. And theyre in a rubbermaid with a small heating pad and ceramic heat lamp. What should I feed these guys that'll keep them full, alive, and happy?

Thank you!

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
I personally wouldn't use cat or dog food as those have a lot of other stuff I'm not sure I would want my beardie eating. I personally use Alfalfa pellets and an organic soybean/corn free starter chick mash. that's their "always in the bin" food. Then I just toss in stuff like dandelion greens, carrots, apples, oranges, butternut/spaghetti/acorn squashes and once in awhile a bunch of bread.

I never mist my roaches as I don't want problems with chances of mold forming on the egg cartons. I just give em water crystals and being in Washington State, the humidity is fine here.

As for heating I just use a reptile UTH on a lamp dimmer and it's fine. Even in winter although the room I keep them in is 75 degrees. heat lamps will dry the air out a lot and might give them molting problems but I guess it would dry out the misting too so whatever works for you.

mudskipper

Juvie Member
You don't need to mist them. Don't do it because you may actually be doing more harm than good. It will encourage mold to grow, which will kill your dubia. I actually leave the lid of my bin open so it gets plenty of ventilation. I lost a colony once due to mold.

Stallion

Original Poster
Yeah the guy that sold me some said, "...I don't think it's as strict as the internet says because if so then I wouldn't have so many." He keeps his in a rubbermaid that's in a wooden box that's in his garage. So yeah, in the Denver winter it could get quite bad in there. And yet they have bred for him to the point that he's selling them at an AMAZING price. A real steal. I hope to recreate that so that my two beardies are happy and healthy for life.

Markyy

Hatchling Member
Stay away from dog and cat food. And dont listen to most people that say to use a high protein diet. Thats false info going around. Dubias do much better with low protein diet and they are better for your dragon as well when he eats the roaches. The acid that builds up in the roaches can do more harm than most think. Use food youd want your dragon eating. What goes in the roaches is going in your lizard. Use organic food.

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
Same. I wouldn't use high protein. I used to and since I changed my roaches over to water soaked alfalfa pellets and quit using water crystals, they have been doing much better. They also seems softer when I pick them up, not all hard and crunchy. Harley seems to love em being all soft and juicy. Plus alfalfa is cheap as dirt and is actually a good gutload in itself if you look at beautiful dragons website under the nutrition section. Combine that with fresh veggies like mustard/dandelion/collard greens and fruits, it's a great feeder for your beardie.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Sauzo":1zj2fwbl said:
Same. I wouldn't use high protein. I used to and since I changed my roaches over to water soaked alfalfa pellets and quit using water crystals, they have been doing much better. They also seems softer when I pick them up, not all hard and crunchy. Harley seems to love em being all soft and juicy. Plus alfalfa is cheap as dirt and is actually a good gutload in itself if you look at beautiful dragons website under the nutrition section. Combine that with fresh veggies like mustard/dandelion/collard greens and fruits, it's a great feeder for your beardie.

^ This. My colony has been much healthier since I stopped the water crystals and processed food. I feed only alfalfa pellets and leftover produce. I have significantly fewer dead and the colony is booming just fine. They eat the produce better when you feed in small amounts. When I feed smaller portions I am left with twigs and seeds, but too much and it goes rancid.

BabySkales

Hatchling Member
hmm..i might have to try the pellets as well. Ive been using bug burger and superload from repashy...

I just want to make sure I am understanding you all you feed alfalfa pellets and fruits and veggies and that's it? Water crystals for water?

Markyy

Hatchling Member
dustponds10":2ooddgxo said:
I just want to make sure I am understanding you all you feed alfalfa pellets and fruits and veggies and that's it? Water crystals for water?

That setup will work fine.

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
I soak the alfalfa pellets in water. So basically I use a plastic deli cup and put in a couple handfuls of alfalfa pellets. Then I fill the rest with water and let it sit a couple hours and it turns to alfalfa mush loaded with water. Drain off any excess water and put it in the roach feeding dish and they get water and food from that.

You are talking about the alfalfa pellets used for small animal food, I'm assuming? I was wondering if it would work to use the alfalfa cubes they sell for large livestock at feed stores. One cube is about a 2-inch cube if I remember right from my goat-raising days. And a big sack of them would last forever. I haven't priced them in a while but I wouldn't be surprised if it's much cheaper, too, in the long run. Any thoughts?

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
The alfalfa pellets I use are the big 50 lb bags you buy in feed stores used for livestock. Guess the small animal stuff would work too since it's probably the same thing, just a lot less for a lot more price.

That's what I was thinking, just wasn't sure if there was any difference in the livestock feed vs. the small animal pellets. Sounds like that's the way to go! I'm getting my first small order of dubias tomorrow and if Loki likes them I'm going to get a colony started.

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
I'm sure he will. In all the customers I've sold dubias to for various reptiles from chameleons to beardies to steppe runners, they all have loved em.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom