What to feed Dubia Roaches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
lori2plus1":39to9vsp said:
That's what I was thinking, just wasn't sure if there was any difference in the livestock feed vs. the small animal pellets. Sounds like that's the way to go! I'm getting my first small order of dubias tomorrow and if Loki likes them I'm going to get a colony started.

The animal pellets (like rabbit/Guinea pig food) have nutrients and additive and have lower calcium content than straight alfalfa. Your need to check the ingredients.

@dustpond - I don't use water crystals. Just fresh stuff and now trying the soaked pellets.

Markyy":2tzuzil8 said:
Stay away from dog and cat food. And dont listen to most people that say to use a high protein diet. Thats false info going around. Dubias do much better with low protein diet and they are better for your dragon as well when he eats the roaches. The acid that builds up in the roaches can do more harm than most think. Use food youd want your dragon eating. What goes in the roaches is going in your lizard. Use organic food.

Indeed! Have a look at the link in the thread I just posted: https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=211425

I was looking into gutloading the roaches and what to feed them. I called my local feed store and to buy alfalfa pellets I have to get a 50lb bag. I live in an apartment so that is really too large for me to store. We don't have much storage space. Any other food recommendations? Or have you seen smaller bags at pet stores? I've read that the cat and dog food is too high in protein so I want to avoid that. I will be giving them plenty of fresh goods between whatever the dragon doesn't eat and what we buy or grow.

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
Some places will sell it in bulk of 1lb increments. I'd keep calling around. I know the place I buy it sells it both ways but you pay more if you buy it under the 40lb bags.

So i had a doctors appointment and on my way there my Dr canceled. I was near my old apartment and thought I'd stop at the feed store in town. Well I did and I lucked out. At first they said they didn't sell bags of alfalfa in weighed out bags since it's usually sold to horse owners. One of the coworker chimed in that a bag broke and he weighed some earlier. I scored a bunch of pellets for less than $3. It's a little under 5 pounds :). Right place at the right time.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
NatashaFatality":3vxm3c3y said:
So i had a doctors appointment and on my way there my Dr canceled. I was near my old apartment and thought I'd stop at the feed store in town. Well I did and I lucked out. At first they said they didn't sell bags of alfalfa in weighed out bags since it's usually sold to horse owners. One of the coworker chimed in that a bag broke and he weighed some earlier. I scored a bunch of pellets for less than $3. It's a little under 5 pounds :). Right place at the right time.
Haha awesome :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom